Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 Rep Challenge

Here's what you need to know...

• Challenges make the body and mind resilient. The win doesn't come from the outcome, but from the perseverance it takes to push through.
    • This is a 6-week challenge. Each week you'll do two days of barbell lifting, two days of 100-rep exercises, and two days of sled pushing.
    • The 100-rep work is made up of an upper body day and a lower body day. You'll perform 100 reps of each exercise before moving on to the next exercise.
    • For strength you'll do two exercises a week. The first two weeks will be 3 sets of 5 reps; the third and fourth week will be 3 sets of 3 reps; the last two weeks will be 5/3/1.
    • For conditioning you'll push the Prowler six times in 40-yard intervals using either heavy, medium, or light weight.

Resilience: The Reason for Challenges

Challenges may seem meaningless, but there's something remarkable about setting out on the hard path, struggling like mad, and reaching the final destination.
    Still, many people shake their heads at those who seek these challenges and ask why anyone would subject themselves to such "trivial" things.
    They're missing the point. The work and the perseverance required to reach the goal are what really matters. These things harden the body and the mind. They teach you resolve and how to fight through mental and physical pain.
    Challenges also give you the opportunity to test your limits. How far are you willing to go? Do you have what it takes to go on when you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel?
    More importantly, these challenges, if hard enough, teach us that anything's possible. I'm not so ignorant to think that one day I'll grow wings and fly, but sometimes when an obstacle seems too tall to overcome, I can draw on the strength built through these "trivial" challenges.
    Challenges build momentum that can carry over to real life.

The Challenges

The performance goal of the 100-Rep Challenge is simple: complete all the workouts listed below. Not a day or rep missed. This isn't training to "increase your bench press 30 pounds in two weeks!" or "add a half-inch to your arms in one workout!"
    We're training hard work, mental fortitude, and work ethic.
    This workout wasn't haphazardly put together on a napkin. I've combined strength work, conditioning work, and hypertrophy work in a manner that allows you to target each area over a 6-week period.
    I've used many of these 100-rep exercises during my rehab and over the years. However, it wasn't until Paul Carter and I took the time to brainstorm about how to incorporate them into a proper training program that it all came together.
    The 100-Rep Challenge is something special. You'll get strength work from the heavy barbell lifts, conditioning from both the Prowler pushes and 100-rep work, and hypertrophy from the 100-rep work as well.

Recover and Grow

You'll be outrageously sore. Expect it and embrace it. It's only 6 weeks, hardly a lifetime, and something you should demand from yourself.
    This isn't a time to cut out sleep, stretching, or mobility work. This isn't a time to be "cutting." Cutting is for people that don't have the discipline to eat right the majority of the time.
    This training will allow you to earn you hearty meals. It'll force you to learn about recovery.
    The 100-Rep Workout is great for hypertrophy – you'll tap into a rep range most never venture into. It's also terrific for strengthening your tendons, and will give you an outrageous pump. (Yeah, I said that!)

Related:  Building a Bigger Yoke

Your body will change in these 6 weeks – your arms, traps, and hamstrings will grow, and your conditioning will also improve.

Training Week Overview

Monday: Lower body weight training
    Tuesday: Lower body 100
    Wednesday: Prowler walk
    Thursday: Upper body weight training
    Friday: Upper body 100
    Saturday: Prowler walk

There are two days devoted to strength, two days devoted to conditioning, and two days devoted to hypertrophy.

100-Rep Work

The following exercises will be used exclusively for the 100-rep work. It's not complicated. Just do 100 reps in one set.
    There are only three exercises per day and trust me, this will be all you'll need. Don't feel compelled to add more exercises; do them as prescribed.
    If you feel any of the weights are too heavy for your current level, simply do less. The weights listed are what most people who have 5 or more years of training can handle. They aren't easy but they're doable.
    And if you have any doubts, stop having doubts. You must expect more from yourself.

Upper Body 100

1. Front Plate Raise

Do this with a full range of motion, i.e., until the hands/plate are over the head. Using this range of motion greatly taxes the upper back and shoulders.
    Weight: 25-pound plate

2. Barbell Curls

Weight: 45-pound barbell

3. Karwoski Rows

This is like a shrug/upright row hybrid. Holding a heavy barbell, shrug and row it up to your belly button. Hold for a second at the top and repeat. Don't use straps.
    Weight: 135 pounds (a barbell plus two 45-pound plates)

Lower Body 100

1. Bulgarian Split Squat

This is done with one leg in front and the back foot up on a bench.
    Weight used: bodyweight only. Finish all reps on one side before switching. You'll do 100 total reps – meaning 50 reps per leg.

2. Hamstring Curl

Lie on a floor or bench. Do both legs at the same time.
    Weight: 10-20 pound ankle weights.

3. Sit-Ups

Lock your feet under something stable, cross your arms on your chest and do a sit-up.

100 Rep Notes

• You're free to substitute any exercise you wish, but I can only approve of the ones listed above. These were picked for a variety of reasons, namely to target weak points, target areas people want and need to develop, ease of performing 100 reps, mobility, and the simple challenge of getting better.
    • You can rest during the 100-rep set but you can't put the bar down and you can't make the exercise "easier" during this time (i.e., lying down during a rest period during the sit-ups). If you're in doubt of what constitutes rest, you're probably doing it wrong.
    • At the top of the front plate raise, squeeze your traps and upper back. Use as straight of arms as possible.
    • Your form will probably get sloppy; that's to be expected. Still, you must try to maintain some integrity during the set. The weight is light enough that you won't get hurt, but the point of doing the exercise is to exhaust and annihilate the muscle, not to just get the reps.
    • You'll be sore – expect it.
    • You can rest as much as you want between exercises. Don't bring a stopwatch – we're in the weight room, not on a track.
    • You must learn how to relax your mind during these sets – don't focus on the pain. You have to learn to dissociate yourself from reality.
    • I usually attack the first 50-60 reps without stopping, take a short break and catch my breath (not really), then hammer out sets of 10 reps. This makes it easier to handle, mentally.

It also helps greatly if you have someone counting the reps for you. You'll invariably lose count as your mind starts to wander away from the pain.

Weight Training Overview

Week 1

Monday

Exercise Sets Reps
    A Squat * *
    B Good Morning or Straight Leg Deadlift 3-5 5-10
    C Hanging Leg Raise 3-5 10-15
    * 5/3/1 sets and reps

Thursday

Exercise Sets Reps
    A Bench Press * *
    B Standing Press 5 10 * *
    C T-Bar Row or Dumbbell Row 5 10-15
    * 5/3/1 sets and reps
    * * you choose the weight

Week 2

Monday

Exercise Sets Reps
    A Deadlift * *
    B Good Morning or Straight Leg Deadlift 3-5 10-15
    C Hanging Leg Raise 3-5 10-15
    * 5/3/1 sets and reps

Thursday

Exercise Sets Reps
    A Standing Press * *
    B Bench Press 5 10 * *
    C T-Bar Row or Dumbbell Row 5 10-15
    * 5/3/1 sets and reps
    * * you choose the weight

Lifting Notes

• This is a six-week program; lifting will be done twice per week. Since only two exercises are done per week, you'll only go through one 5/3/1 cycle in the six-week period.
    • In other words, the first two weeks will be 3 sets of 5 reps, the third and fourth week will be 3 sets of 3 reps, and the final two weeks will be the 5/3/1 week.

Related:  5/3/1 How to Build Pure Strength

• No substitution of any exercise. If you substitute, it's no longer the program.
    • The "5 sets of 10 reps" of the bench press and press are done with approximately 50% of your Training Max. This is just a baseline number and can change. The important thing is to push yourself and get the required reps.
    • Hanging leg raise can be done with bent knees or straight legs (or a combination of both).
    • You're welcome to push the last set hard on the 5/3/1 sets – this is up to you and how you feel for that day. I'd recommend pushing the sets hard but always leaving 2-3 reps "in the tank."

Prowler Workout

Perform six, 40-yard Prowler trips on Wednesday and Saturday. Walk when doing the Prowler. The slower work will force you to use full steps and strengthen your legs. No rest periods are given because it doesn't matter.
    Get the work in – this is about getting the legs stronger. The conditioning will improve naturally.

Related:  Conditioning When the Weather Stinks

Pick three weights for the Prowler: heavy, medium, and light. I use the following weights: heavy = 270 pounds, medium = 180 pounds, light = 90 pounds. Adjust these weights for your strength and the surface on which you push the Prowler.

Wednesday

Do 2 trips of 40 yards with each weight: light, medium, and heavy.
    In my case, I'll do two 40-yard walks with 90 pounds, two 40-yard walks with 180 pounds, and two 40-yard walks with 270 pounds.

Saturday

All six trips of 40 yards will be done with the medium weight. For example, I'll do six 40-yard walks with 180 pounds.
    No rest periods are given because it doesn't matter. Get the work in – this is about getting the legs stronger. The conditioning will improve.

Final Thoughts

If you're unsure about the challenge, spend the next 4 weeks incorporating a few of the 100 rep lifts into your current training to see how you fair. This will give you some time to get used to the breathing and the soreness.
    But if you feel you're ready, jump in; don't just toe the water.
    Once you make the commitment, take 36 blank sheets of paper. On each paper, write down each workout. So each workout has its own page. Write the complete workout you'll do each day.
    Write it, don't type it. Writing it gives it personal meaning and realness; it's something tangible. It becomes reality. Go get a small, 3-ring binder and put these pages in it. Label the binder, "100 Rep Challenge." Now leave your phone in your car or gym bag – the binder is all you need.
    Leave a space at the bottom to make notes. Then write down what you ate, how much you slept, and what you did to improve your recovery for the next session. Be proactive in all departments.
    This binder will give you accountability for all areas of your training and helps you see what you need to improve on and what you excel at.
    Yes, this 6-week challenge sucks, but it'll teach you a lot about yourself and you'll develop the mental and physical granite that many of us seek from the iron.

Skeggǫld, Skálmǫld, Skildir ro Klofnir.

Comment

The 12 Minute Fix for Abs and Glutes

• Too many people waste time working the abs and glutes separately when they could be training them simultaneously.
      • To understand that you can work the abs/glutes/core together, you need to think of the core as a cylinder that wraps around the middle of the body.
      • Joining and working these body parts increases efficiency, along with improving effectiveness and metabolic enhancement.
      • The most effective and efficient way to train abs/glutes/core together is from the plank position.
      • Since much of the core/glutes/shoulder metabolic blast is done from the plank position, there's also a huge spillover effect to shoulder stabilization as well.

Better Abs, Tighter Glutes

Most women want nicer abs and round, lifted glutes. Men want one of those things more than the other (so they say), but both men and women want to work the core quickly and effectively. And if they can get some metabolic conditioning in at the same time, it's a good day.
      Too bad I see them wasting gym time by training these areas as separate entities when they could instead be capitalizing on how the glutes and core often work in concert.
      That's just what the this ab/glutes/core metabolic exercise sequence does.

Change the Way You Think About the Core

When targeting the core and glutes together for a single training effect and for metabolic optimization, it's best to think "form follows function."
      To really "get" that you can effectively target abs/glutes/core at the same time, you need to think of the core more as a cylinder that wraps around the middle of the body, engaged in the anterior chain, but supported all around the cylinder, from front to back and back to front, and top to bottom.

Related:  More on core training

Joining and working them together increases training efficiency not only in terms of saving time, but in terms of targeted effects and metabolic enhancement as well.

The Power of the Plank Position

The most effective and efficient way to train abs/glutes/core together is from the plank position. No exceptions.
      That's what makes this monster metabolic sequence so effective. Additionally, there are huge spillover effects to shoulders as well, as the shoulder muscles go back and forth from unilateral and bilateral stabilization support.
      The abs/glutes/core sequence was conceived by considering a gymnast on the pommel horse and then tweaking the exercise sequences for overall fitness and body sculpting needs.

The Workout

Below is the sequence as demonstrated by Kevin Weiss, a two-time World Champion in raw powerlifting. As he says, "Even when training for size, strength, or development, there's no downside to just 'a little' athleticism!"
      Perform 3-4 rounds. (Four is the max and only for super-beasts). Rest 15 seconds or so between each exercise in the sequence. Here are the exercises in the sequence, broken down:
      A. Full Sit Outs 8-15 reps
      B. Alternating Contralateral Hand to Toe Touch 8-15 reps
      C. Alternating Contralateral Elbow to Knee Touch 8-15 reps
      D. Alternating Swiss Ball Step Offs 8-15 reps
      E. Dumbbell Overhead Lockout slow 30 count

Exercise Breakdown

Full Sit-Outs These engage the muscles and demand recruitment through the speed of execution and kinesthetic awareness of muscles in space.

Alternating Hand to Toe Touch The relatively straight leg alters the movement pattern from the full sit outs and adds rotation and keeps muscle recruitment not only engaged, but for lack of a better term, "thinking" about that movement pattern change.

This enhances the kinesthetic awareness demands, much as it would for a gymnast on the pommel horse. Furthermore, by keeping the leg relatively straight just like in the full sit outs, we're still emphasizing longer lever arms, which demand more muscle recruitment and neural activity.
      Alternating Contralateral Elbow to Knee Touch What we do here is continue the movement pattern in the core cylinder, but we shorten the lever arms (meaning bent knee and touching to elbows, instead of hand to toe). This change still engages substantial effective rotational elements, but now involves the intercostals as well because of the shorter lever arms.

Alternating Swiss Ball Step Offs Now the real fun begins. Because of the previous sequences and this change in movement patterns, we see tremendous lower abs and direct glute involvement, too.
      The nature of this movement is about stabilizing and counteracting the movement of the leg, while the other leg takes on a more kinesthetic demand by contributing to stabilization and balance as well. At this point, the abs and glutes are burning.

Dumbbell Lockout Holds This movement completely alters the effects and demands of abs/glutes/core stabilization through an overhead hold.

The weight has to be heavy enough to create that demand. This movement acts as a finisher as the shoulders, serratus, paraspinals, glutes, and abs are all contracting hard in order to support the overhead hold.
      Furthermore, because you're using the plank position in the first four movements, there's tremendous stabilization demands on the whole shoulder complex and serratus anterior and serratus posterior muscles.
      Lastly, the whole sequence – done for three or four rounds – produces overwhelming metabolic fat-burning effects that will last you much longer after your workout than would a half hour of cardio and a few sets of sit ups and leg raises.

Application

Do this sequence once per week at the end of a training session. Try three rounds, resting completely between each round.

Comment

The Complete Power Look Program

• Physiques that exude power are made of massive lats, traps, and delts. And they don't just look powerful, they are powerful.
        • To achieve the power look, you'll need to get strong overall and improve your 3RM.
        • Focus on four main lifts with added accessory lifts. The purpose of the accessory lifts is to increase your 3RM on the main lifts.
        • There are three phases of this 10-week program. It's periodized so that your main lifts increase in load while your assistance work decreases in volume.

Defining The Power Look

Few people have a physique that looks powerful and intimidating. And I want what few people have. Don't you?
        Picture this: Strong traps that slope down to rounded shoulders, a thick upper back, a lower back you can lose your forearm in, and tree-trunk legs. Now couple that look with strength - being able to move the equivalent of a small car on the big basics.

This is the physique most lifters want. I designed this program for them.
        When you're striving to achieve the power look, strength has to be the foundation of your training. Not necessarily 1RM strong, but overall strong.

Train toward achieving a new 3RM. The ultimate goal is to get 3 solid sets of 3 reps with your pre-cycle 1RM. That alone will guarantee a 10-15% gain in strength.

This program is built for a "big athlete" look. Think fullback or linebacker bodies. It will build muscle in all the right places and build the strength to back up the look.

Making the Program Work

The purpose of this program is to turn you into one powerful-looking human being. This is not the time to start a fat-loss diet!

We don't want to get fat in our quest for looking like a tank, but it would be a huge mistake not to consume enough nutrients to fuel the workouts, recover, and then grow from them.

You want at least a 10% caloric surplus when doing this program. For supplements, I had my greatest improvements when I was consuming a high amount of Plazma™ pre and during training as well as Mag-10® post-training.

The Workouts

I'll provide a week-by-week breakdown of the program below, but let's start with an overview of each section.
        Focus on four main lifts. These exercises are selected for their capacity to give you the power look. By themselves they'll give you the body you want. Getting significantly stronger at these movements will earn you the power look.
        Related:  Growth Factor Shoulder Training

But you'll also use assistance exercises, which will increase the rate of progress in the main movements. Everything you do is designed to push the big four as high as possible, because getting the big-four higher is what will get you looking like a beast.

The Power 4

• Front squat
        • Deadlift
        • Bench press
        • Push press

Each workout contains three total exercises: One main movement (from the Power 4) and two assistance exercises to improve the main lift.

The program has three distinct phases: The main movements stay the same for the duration of the cycle (10 weeks) but the assistance exercises will change depending on the purpose they serve.

The main movements are periodized: The load is planned in advance for the whole cycle and based on testing your 1RM just prior to starting the training cycle.

The periodization scheme for the main movements:
        Week 1: 80%, 5 x 3
        Week 2: 80%, 5 x 4
        Week 3: 80%, 5 x 5
        Week 4: 80%, 5 x 6
        Week 5: 85%, 3 x 3
        Week 6: 85%, 5 x 3
        Week 7: 90%, 3 x 3
        Week 8: 95%, 3 x 2
        Week 9: 100%, 3 x 2
        Week 10: 100%, 3 x 3

After week 10, take three easy days and then test your new 1RM.

The Assistance Work

The program below has two assistance movements for each main lift during each training phase.
        At the beginning of the program, the purpose of the assistance exercises will be to strengthen weak links in the main lifts. As the program progresses you'll shift your focus more on getting ready to handle bigger weights.
        This means emphasizing the stronger links in the main lifts so that you're able to reach peak performance at the end of the cycle.
        Related:  5 Ways to Stop Being a Weakling

Note: For the assistance work you won't use pre-planned loads like you will for the main lifts. Shoot for the heaviest load you can handle with proper form for all the work sets. Don't hit failure on purpose, but if it happens once in a while don't worry about it.

Phase 1: Assistance Exercises

Phase 1 Notes: The two assistance exercises are selected to fix generally weak areas in the main lifts and build the key muscles involved.
        Front squat assistance exercises
        Paused front squat
        Split squat

Deadlift assistance exercises
        Deficit deadlift
        Bent over barbell row (torso parallel to the floor)

Bench press assistance exercises
        Full range dumbbell press (flat, lowering the dumbbells so that the handles are lower than a bench press bar would be)
        Floor press, close-grip

Push press assistance exercises
        Military press
        High incline (60 degrees) dumbbell press

Sets and reps for the phase 1 assistance exercises
        Week 1: 4 x 8
        Week 2: 2 x 8, 2 x 6 (heavier)
        Week 3: 4 x 6
        Week 4: 2 x 6

Phase 2: Assistance Exercises

Phase 2 Notes: One exercise will continue working on a weak link for the main lift, but the second exercise will be an overload movement for the pattern to get used to handling heavier weights.
        Front squat assistance exercises
        1 and 1/4th front squat (Go all the way down, then up halfway, back down, stand up. This is one rep.)
        1/2 front squat (Going down only until the knee is at 100 degrees.)

Deadlift assistance exercises
        Deficit sumo deadlift
        Deadlift from pins just below knees

Bench press assistance exercises
        Wide-grip bench press
        1/2 bench press (Normal bench press, lowering until elbows are 90 degrees.)

Push press assistance exercises
        Top-half press from pins (Shoulder press from pins just above forehead.)
        1/2 push press (From rack position to just above forehead.)

Sets and reps for the phase 2 assistance exercises
        Week 5: 4 x 6
        Week 6: 2 x 6, 2 x 4 (heavier)
        Week 7: 4 x 4

Phase 3: Assistance Exercises

Phase-3 Notes: The goal of the assistance movements is no longer about correcting weak links. Use them instead to emphasize strong links.
        Use only assistance movements where you can use more weight than on the main lifts themselves. The volume of assistance work will be dropped to allow maximum recovery to peak for the main lifts.
        Front squat assistance exercise
        Back squat, narrow stance (hip width), high bar position

Deadlift assistance exercise
        Deadlift from pins just above knees

Bench press assistance exercise
        Decline bench press

Push press assistance exercise
        Power jerk

Sets and reps for the phase 3 assistance exercises
        Week 8: 4 x 2
        Week 9: 2 x 2
        Week 10: None

The Complete Power Look Program

Week 1, Day 1:

Front squat 80%, 5 x 3
        Paused front squat (2 second pause in the bottom position) 4 x 8
        Split squat (bar held like in a front squat) 4 x 8
        Optional bonus work: Leg press, leg extension, hack squat. You can pick one or two for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Week 1, Day 2:

Bench press 80%, 5 x 3
        Full range dumbbell press 4 x 8
        Close-grip floor press (1 second stop on floor) 4 x 8
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell triceps extension, EZ-bar triceps extension, rope triceps extension. Choose one or two for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Week 1, Day 3:

Deadlift 80%, 5 x 3
        Deficit deadlift (standing on 2" plate) 4 x 8
        Bent over barbell row (torso parallel to floor) 4 x 8
        Optional bonus work: Barbell or dumbbell shrugs, chin-ups/pull-ups, leg curl. Pick one or two for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Week 1, Day 4:

Push press 80%, 5 x 3
        Military press 4 x 8
        High incline (60 degrees) dumbbell press 4 x 8
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell lateral raise, dumbbell front raise, barbell curl. Pick one or two for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Week 2, Day 1:

Front squat 80%, 5 x 4
        Paused front squat 2 x 8, 2 x 6
        Split squat 2 x 8, 2 x 6
        Optional bonus work: Leg press, leg extension, hack squat. Pick one or two for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Week 2, Day 2:

Bench press 80%, 5 x 4
        Full range dumbbell press 2 x 8, 2 x 6
        Close-grip floor press 2 x 8, 2 x 6
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell triceps extension, EZ-bar triceps extension, rope triceps extension. Choose one or two for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Week 2, Day 3:

Deadlift 80%, 5 x 4
        Deficit deadlift 2 x 8, 2 x 6
        Bent over barbell row 2 x 8, 2 x 6
        Optional bonus work: Barbell or dumbbell shrugs, chin-ups/pull-ups, leg curl. Choose one or two for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Week 2, Day 4:

Push press 80%, 5 x 4
        Military press 2 x 8, 2 x 6
        High incline (60 degrees) dumbbell press 2 x 8, 2 x 6
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell lateral raise, dumbbell front raise, barbell curl. Pick one or two for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Week 3, Day 1:

Front squat 80%, 5 x 5
        Paused front squat 4 x 6
        Split squat 4 x 6
        Optional bonus work: Leg press, leg extension, hack squat. Pick one or two for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Week 3, Day 2:

Bench press 80%, 5 x 5
        Full range dumbbell press 4 x 6
        Close-grip floor press 4 x 6

Week 3, Day 3:

Deadlift 80%, 5 x 5
        Deficit deadlift 4 x 6
        Bent over barbell row 4 x 6
        Optional bonus work: Barbell or dumbbell shrugs, chin-ups/pull-ups, leg curl. Pick one or two for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Week 3, Day 4:

Push press 80%, 5 x 5
        Military press 4 x 6
        High incline (60 degrees) dumbbell press 4 x 6
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell lateral raise, dumbbell front raise, barbell curl. Choose one or two for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Week 4, Day 1:

Front squat 80%, 5 x 6
        Paused front squat 2 x 6
        Split squat 2 x 6

Week 4, Day 2:

Bench press 80%, 5 x 6
        Full range dumbbell press 2 x 6
        Close-grip floor press 2 x 6

Week 4, Day 3:

Deadlift 80%, 5 x 6
        Deficit deadlift 2 x 6
        Bent over barbell row 2 x 6

Week 4, Day 4:

Push press 80%, 5 x 6
        Military press 2 x 6
        High incline (60 degrees) dumbbell press 2 x 6
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell lateral raise, dumbbell front raise, barbell curl. Choose one or two for 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Week 5, Day 1:

Front squat 85%, 3 x 3
        1 and 1/4 front squat 4 x 6
        1/2 front squat 4 x 6
        Optional bonus work: Leg press, leg extension, hack squat. Pick one or two for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 5, Day 2:

Bench press 85%, 3 x 3
        Wide grip bench press 4 x 6
        1/2 bench press 4 x 6
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell triceps extension, EZ-bar triceps extension, rope triceps extension. Choose one or two for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 5, Day 3:

Deadlift 85%, 3 x 3
        Deficit sumo deadlift (standing on 2" plates) 4 x 6
        Deadlift from pins (just below knees) 4 x 6
        Optional bonus work: Barbell or dumbbell shrugs, chin-ups/pull-ups, leg curl. Choose one or two for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 5, Day 4:

Push press 85%, 3 x 3
        Top half press from pins (bar starting on pins just above forehead) 4 x 6
        1/2 push press (from rack position to just above forehead) 4 x 6
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell lateral raise, dumbbell front raise, barbell curl. Pick one or two for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 6, Day 1:

Front squat 85%, 5 x 3
        1/2 front squat 2 x 6, 2 x 4
        Optional bonus work: Leg press, leg extension, hack squat. Pick one or two for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 6, Day 2:

Bench press 85%, 5 x 3
        Wide grip bench press 2 x 6, 2 x 4
        1/2 bench press 2 x 6, 2 x 4
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell triceps extension, EZ-bar triceps extension, rope triceps extension. Pick one or two for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 6, Day 3:

Deadlift 85%, 5 x 3
        Deficit sumo deadlift 2 x 6, 2 x 4
        Deadlift from pins 2 x 6, 2 x 4
        Optional bonus work: Barbell or dumbbell shrugs, chin-ups/pull-ups, leg curl. Choose one or two for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 6, Day 4:

Push press 85%, 5 x 3
        Top half press from pins 2 x 6, 2 x 4
        1/2 push press 2 x 6, 2 x 4
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell lateral raise, dumbbell front raise, barbell curl. Pick one or two for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 7, Day 1:

Front squat 90%, 3 x 3
        1/2 front squat 4 x 4

Week 7, Day 2:

Bench press 90%, 3 x 3
        Wide grip bench press 4 x 4
        1/2 bench press 4 x 4
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell triceps extension, EZ-bar triceps extension, rope triceps extension. Choose one or two for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 7, Day 3:

Deadlift 90%, 3 x 3
        Deficit sumo deadlift 4 x 4
        Deadlift from pins 4 x 4
        Optional bonus work: Barbell or dumbbell shrugs, chin-ups/pull-ups, leg curl. Pick one or two for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 7, Day 4:

Push press 90%, 3 x 3
        Top half press from pins 4 x 4
        1/2 push press 4 x 4

Week 8, Day 1:

Front squat 95%, 3 x 2
        Back squat, narrow stance, high bar placement 4 x 2
        Optional bonus work: Leg press, leg extension, hack squat. Choose one for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 8, Day 2:

Bench press 95%, 3 x 2
        Decline bench press 4 x 2
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell triceps extension, EZ-bar triceps extension, rope triceps extension. Pick one for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 8, Day 3:

Deadlift 95%, 3 x 2
        Deadlift from pins 4 x 2
        Optional bonus work: Barbell or dumbbell shrugs, chin-ups/pull-ups, leg curl. Pick one for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 8, Day 4:

Push press 95%, 3 x 2
        Power jerk 4 x 2
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell lateral raise, dumbbell front raise, barbell curl. Choose one for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 9, Day 1:

Front squat 100%, 3 x 2
        Back squat, narrow stance, high bar placement 2 x 2
        Optional bonus work: Leg press, leg extension, hack squat. Pick one for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 9, Day 2:

Bench press 100%, 3 x 2
        Decline bench press 2 x 2
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell triceps extension, EZ-bar triceps extension, rope triceps extension. Choose one for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 9, Day 3:

Deadlift 100%, 3 x 2
        Deadlift from pins 2 x 2
        Optional bonus work: Barbell or dumbbell shrugs, chin-ups/pull-ups, leg curl. Pick one for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 9, Day 4:

Push press 100%, 3 x 2
        Power jerk 2 x 2
        Optional bonus work: Dumbbell lateral raise, dumbbell front raise, barbell curl. Pick one for 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Week 10, Day 1:

Front squat 100%, 3 x 3

Week 10, Day 2:

Bench press 100%, 3 x 3

Week 10, Day 3:

Deadlift 100%, 3 x 3

Week 10, Day 4:

Push press 100%, 3 x 3

Comment

The Top 5 Exercises For Increasing Chest Mass

Almost every weightlifter has a desire at some point in their years of training to increase the size of their chest. Whether it is to capture the gold cup at a show, or for the sheer strength that a properly developed chest provides, training is both intense and dangerous if done without care for the structure of human anatomy. The idea is to get results safely.
          The chest is very important as the second most shown off muscle group after the bicep. For this reason, whether you are a weight lifter, strongman, athlete, or just into physical fitness, a workout routine that trains the chest is going to become a priority at some point. The pecs (short for pectoral muscles) are one of the major muscle groups involved in power lifting.
          Increasing chest mass improves the overall performance of several other muscle groups, mostly in the arms. If you are having trouble with other areas try switching to the top 5chest exercises and watch as those trouble areas begin to show improvement again.

The Anatomy of the Chest

Understanding the function of the chest muscles is a vital step before throwing yourself into a vigorous routine. In the body, no muscle group is an island, and a basic knowledge of how the groups function together will help prevent you from causing injury, while simultaneously informing you of how and why the workout works. This knowledge will help you concentrate on posture, form, and performance.
          The chest is made up of two muscles the Pectoralis major, and the Pectoralis minor.

• Pectoralis Major – Is the large fan shaped muscle that is located on the front of the chest. It originates from both the sternum (breast bone) and the clavicle and inserts into the humerus. This muscle is responsible for flexing and extending the humerus, as well as adducting and medially rotating.

• Pectoralis Minor – Lies under the pectoralis major, and is a much smaller triangular shaped muscle that stabilizes the action of the scapula.

The Top 5 Exercises for Increasing the Chest– The Breakdown

The number of exercises that will work the chest are very long, but only a few will achieve real results. The chest, as stated previously, provides support for many other muscles, and therefore is more responsive to targeted training over the long-term.
          Free weights are assumed to be the only tools available in most of the descriptions of these exercises, but there are machines that are designed with some of these exercises in mind. Once you grasp the concept of how the muscles work together, you can alter the workouts to accommodate whatever machines you may desire to use that fit your target workout style.

Top Chest Exercise #1 – The Barbell Bench Press

The undisputed king of chest expansion for hundreds of years, the bench press has been the standard for increasing strength and size in the chest by experts around the globe. It is possible to perform the bench press in a few variations, but for the purposes of this article, we will start by discussing the wide grip, pec pounding bench press.
          Lie flat on your back on a standard Olympic weight bench. With your feet flat on the floor and your glutes tight to the bench, back and head on the bench at all times, unrack the bar from the bench and lower it to your chest. Pressing your feet into the floor while maintaining a flat position on the bench, use both arms to drive the bar straight up.

Top Chest Exercise #2 – Dumbbell Bench Press

Extremely similar to the first chest exercise, the dumbbell bench press more accurately follows the intended function of the pectoral muscle. Instead of driving the weight straight up, it allows you to bring it in towards the midline of the body. It is also easier to maintain an even level of strength with the dumbbell bench press because the free weights that you are holding aren’t connected in any way.
          As you begin, lie flat on your back on a bench while lying in a position that keeps your feet flat on the floor. With a dumbbell in each hand rest the weight gently on your shoulders and then force them up and away from the body.

Top Chest Exercise #3 – Explosive Push-ups

The standard bench press will only get a person so far when trying to attain more muscle mass in the chest. To supplement normal weightlifting, it is important to incorporate more rapid motions into any chest program. This is difficult to do safely with weights, so smart bodybuilders turn over and put their nose to the floor for some push-ups that will create the most powerful resistance through explosive movements.
          To begin, get down on your hands and knees. Extend your feet back and hold your position with your toes. Place both hands approximately shoulder width apart, and begin by flexing your arms so that your chest lowers to the floor. With as much power as you can muster, push against the floor hard enough to pop your hands off of the ground. You can increase the challenge by trying to jump your hands up to elevated boxes, or by clapping between each jump.

Top Chest Exercise #4 – Inclined Bench Press

This top chest exercise is extremely similar to the standard bench press listed above in that it works the same primary muscle groups (pectorals, deltoids and triceps.) The incline of the bench press however places a great deal more of the workload onto the upper chest.
          To perform, use a press bench that can be raised to an incline position. Unrack the weight and lower the barbell until it touches your upper chest. Press the weight back up into the starting position with arms fully extended and repeat. Keep your elbows tucked in to maintain a 45 degree angle to your flanks. If you allow your arms/elbows to deviate outward you’ll be placing excessive strain on your shoulder joints.

Top Chest Exercise #5 – Decline Bench Press

Again, another workout that is very similar to the standard bench press. It works the same muscle groups (pectorals, deltoids and triceps). The decline of the bench press however puts a great deal of emphasis on the lower chest muscles.
          To perform, use a press bench that is adjustable and move the seat into a decline. Unrack the weight and lower the barbell until it touches your lower chest, upper abdominal region. Once again, you’ll need to keep your elbows turned in to your body so that your arms are at a 45 degree angle to your flanks. If you allow your elbows to drift outward you’ll be placing excessive stress on the shoulder joints.

Here are some workouts for you:
          Beginner Workout

Intermediate Workout

Advanced Workout

The important thing is to integrate these exercises into your daily routine among other programs. You do not want to have a series of “target chest muscle” days. Combine individual workouts with your other muscle group routines to get the optimal increase in mass for your chest. Increasing the size of your chest takes significant effort and a lot of time. While it’s ok to occasionally put some training on hold to target individual muscle groups, don’t let the other areas of your body fall to the wayside while concentrating on your chest. Now go hit those weights hard.

Comment

Forget Steroids: 5 Full Body Workouts For Serious Gains

Long before steroids, men were using full body routines to carve out massive and strong natural physiques. This article presents 5 effective workouts!

It's time for a challenge. I want you to put aside everything you know about training and try something new. And here's the interesting part...this "new" form of training isn't new at all. In fact, it's old as in old school.

Believe it or not, in a time not so long ago - before steroids invaded the muscle building scene - lifters trained using full body approaches. Yes, that's right. Full body training. In fact, full body training used to be the accepted norm. Then things changed.

Now I know what you're thinking: the change from full body routines to training splits must have been a needed evolution. It was! You're correct. Steroids entered the scene, andbodybuilders found they could train longer and recover more quickly. So steroid users began experimenting with split training.

Around this time, publisher Joe Weider started to feature the elaborate split training routines of the largest steroid users on the planet in his magazines. As a result, the science and practices of natural bodybuilding training was left behind and nearly forgotten. For the next 40 years or so, lifters opened magazines to (only) find HUGE Mr. Olympia and his six day double split routine. There was rarely any serious talk of full body training.

In this article I will turn back the hands of time and introduce you to some training routines that were once the norm for natural bodybuilders. It is my hope that you won't dismiss them simply because they are old school. Consider the fact that some of the biggest naturals of all time trained using full body routines - Reg Park, John Grimek and Steve Reeves. Full body routines are not outdated. Every natural bodybuilder should take them seriously. A full body routine might not be the best routine for you, but as they say...you never know until you try.

Full Body Training Notes

Full body routines are different than training splits in several ways. You will be hitting every major muscle group on each training day, either directly or indirectly, but you will be performing fewer daily sets per bodypart. Full body training can be very taxing, simply because you are hammering your entire body. Make sure you resist the urge to add in more training days.

Here are some other things you should know about full body training:
            • Training Frequency. Most full body routines require 3 weekly workouts, generally on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. You never want to perform full body workouts on back to back days.
            • Exercise Selection. Full body routines focus on the use of heavy compound lifts. By getting strong on several major lifts, you will be stimulating muscle growth without the need to use numerous exercises for each body part.
            • Minor Muscle Groups. In general, you will not find an excess of direct work for minor muscle groups. You must resist the urge to feel like a full body workout isn't effective because you aren't getting in enough direct work for rear delts, forearms, abs, etc. You are casting a broad net by working the entire body with compound lifts 3 times each week. This approach WILL cause minor muscle groups to respond.
            • Mental Connection. Some trainees struggle making the mental connection with full body training. For some, seeing everyone around you engaged in split training can make you wonder if you're truly doing the right thing. Remember that just because full body workouts are old school doesn't mean that the lifters didn't have a clue about what they were doing. Full body routines were used effectively for decades upon decades.

The Muscle & Strength 5x5 Full Body Routine
            The Muscle & Strength 5x5 is a very simple yet effective routine for packing on both muscle and strength. You will perform a limited number of exercises on each training day, and your primary focus will be to get as strong as possible on each of these lifts. Stick with this program as designed and resist the urge to tweak it. The core lifts contained in this routine are essential for overall strength and muscle gains. By getting stronger on these lifts, you will be forcing your body to get bigger. Remember to eat enough. This routine, when used properly, will work wonders for skinny guys needing to bulk up and add strength.
            • Training Level - Beginner.
            • Target Group - Lifters looking to rapidly improve strength and add body weight. Can also be used as a general strength building routine, or as preparation/conditioning for a more advanced full body approach.
            • Days Per Week - 3 (Monday, Wednesday, Friday).
            • Routine Duration - 4 to 6 months. If you experiencing exceptional results, continue using this routine as long as you'd like.

Monday
            Exercise Sets Reps
            Squat 5 5
            Bench Press 5 5
            Wide Grip Pull Up 3 10
            Weighted Sit Up 3 10-20
            Wednesday
            Exercise Sets Reps
            Deadlift 4 5
            Seated Barbell Press 5 5
            Barbell Curls 3 5-10
            Seated Calf Raise 3 10-25
            Friday
            Exercise Sets Reps
            Front Squat 5 5
            Close Grip Bench Press 5 5
            Bent Over Row 5 5
            Romanian Deadlift 5 5
            Muscle & Strength 5x5 Notes:

• 5x5 Sets. 5x5 sets include 2 working warmup sets. Your first set is 60% of the working weight used on the final 3 sets. Your second set is 80% of the working weight used on the final 3 sets.
            • 3 Set Exercises. Exercises that are listed as "3 sets" do not include warmup sets. Warmup as needed and appropriate.
            • Rest. Rest approximately 2 minutes between sets. For deadlifts and squats you may need to rest as long as 5 minutes between sets.
            • Deadlifts. The 4x5 protocol for deadlifts includes only one "working" heavy set, and 3 warmup sets. Your first set will be 50% of your heavy set weight for 5 reps. Your second set will 70% of your heavy set weight for 5 reps. Your third set will be 90% of your heavy set weight for 5 reps.

The 20 Rep Squat HLM Full Body Workout
            The 20 Rep Squat HLM Full Body Workout takes a slightly different approach to packing on muscle. You will be squatting twice a week, with Monday being a heavier squat day. On Friday you will perform a single 20 rep set of squats. This set is brutally hard, but provides impressive results. This full body approach is for the experienced beginner or intermediate lifter who is no longer making quality muscle gains on training splits, and wants to try something shocking and different. Monday is your heavy training day - you will perform simple, heavy compound movements. Wednesday is your light training day - exercises will involve higher rep sets. Friday is your medium training day - you will work in moderate rep ranges with primarily heavy compound lifts.

• Training Level - Beginner +.
            • Target Group - Beginner or intermediate looking to shock your body and pack on muscle mass? This program is for you.
            • Routine Duration - Continue using this program as long as you are making consistent progress.

Monday
            Exercise Sets Reps
            Squat 3 3-5
            Deadlift 1 5
            Bench Press 3 3-5
            Seated Barbell Press 3 3-5
            Friday
            Exercise Sets Reps
            Squat 1 20
            Dumbbell Bench Press 3 6 to 10
            Bent Over Row 3 6 to 10
            Romanian Deadlift 2 6 to 10
            Seated Dumbbell Press 3 6 to 10
            French Press or Close Grip Bench Press 2 6 to 10
            Barbell Curl or Dumbbell Curl 2 6 to 10
            Standing Calf Raise 2 6 to 10
            The 20 Rep Squat HLM Full Body Workout Notes:

• 20 Rep Squat. It may take you several weeks to work up to your first full 20 rep squat set. Be patient, and pick a relatively light starting weight. Challenge yourself, and try to add 5 pounds to the bar every week or two.
            • Light Day. Light day training should be challenging but not to failure. You want to push yourself and increase weight when possible.
            • Heavy Day. For bench press, seated press and squats, add weight when you can perform 3 sets of 5 reps with the same weight. For the deadlift, try to add 5 pounds every other week - or 10 pounds per month. If you fail to hit 5 reps for a set, drop the weight by 10 pounds on your next workout.
            • Medium Day. Medium day training should be challenging but not to failure. For each listed exercise, use the same weight for all sets. When you can perform 10 reps for all sets, add 5 pounds to the lift.
            • Deadlifts. Perform 3 warmup sets prior to your one training set. Your first warmup set will be 50% of your heavy set weight for 5 reps. Your second warmup set will 70% of your heavy set weight for 5 reps. Your third warmup set will be 90% of your heavy set weight for 5 reps.
            • Rest. Rest approximately 2 minutes between sets. For deadlifts and squats you may need to rest as long as 5 minutes between sets.
            • Warmup Sets. Listed sets do not include warmup sets. Warmup as appropriate for each listed exercise.

The Grind: A Full Body Strength Workout
            Don't worry, The Grind is not as bad as it sounds. It's actually an amazing way to pack on strength without taxing and straining the body. The premise is simple...for each of the major lifts, focus on lower rep sets, trying to improve each set by only one rep. That's it! Over the course of a single year, The Grind can add up to 75-100 (or more) pounds on to your bench press, deadlift and squat. This is a perfect workout for someone who has made solid progress, and wants to maintain their momentum. While the focus is primarily on adding strength, supporting exercises focus on the addition of muscle mass, making this a good overall program for someone who is after muscle and strength.

• Training Level - Experienced beginner who has made solid strength gains and has a good grasp of form, or intermediate lifter.
            • Target Group - Lifters who want to accelerate their strength gains while also gaining muscle or bulking up.
            • Routine Duration - Continue using this program as long as you are making consistent progress.

Monday
            Exercise Sets Reps
            Squat 6 2-3
            Romanian Deadlift 2 6-10
            Barbell Rows 3 6-10
            Weighted Chest Dip 2 6-10
            Seated Dumbbell Press 2 6-10
            Wednesday
            Exercise Sets Reps
            Bench Press 6 2-3
            Front Squat 3 6-10
            Pull Up 3 6-10
            Barbell Curl 2 6-10
            Weighted Sit Up 2 10-25
            Friday
            Exercise Sets Reps
            Deadlift 6 2-3
            Seated Barbell Press 3 6-10
            Close Grip Bench Press 3 6-10
            Seated Calf Raise 2 10-25
            Dumbbell Side Bends 2 8-15
            The Grind Full Body Workout Notes:

• Squat, Deadlift and Bench Press. For these lifts, when you can perform 6 sets of 3 reps add weight. Do not perform more then 3 reps per set.
            • Warmup Sets. Listed sets do not include warmup sets. Warmup as appropriate for each listed exercise.

The Fast Start A/B Full Body Workout
            The Fast Start A/B workout is another quality introduction to the world of full body routines for experienced beginners. It focuses on major lifts, but also includes direct trap,calf and ab work. You will be building up core strength by squatting or deadlifting during each workout. The Fast Start A/B is a perfect bulking routine for hardgainers or underweight lifters who are making very little progress using conventional bodybuilding split routines. Sets are performed in the 8 to 10 rep range, making this routine a solid muscle building approach.

• Training Level - Beginner+ who has a good grasp of exercise form on major lifts.
            • Target Group - Hardgainers of underweight lifters who aren't making progress on conventional bodybuilding split routines.
            • Days Per Week - 3 (Monday, Wednesday, Friday). You will rotate between 2 workouts. Week 1 is A/B/A, and week 2 is B/A/B.
            • Routine Duration - Use this program for 6 months, or as long as you are making consistent progress.

Workout A
            Exercise Sets Reps
            Squat 4 8-10
            Bench Press 4 8-10
            Barbell Row 4 8-10
            Military Press 4 8-10
            Seated Calf Raise 2 10-20
            Weighted Sit Up 2 10-20
            Workout B
            Exercise Sets Reps
            Deadlift 2 10-15
            Leg Press 2 12-15
            Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 8-10
            Dumbbell Shrug 4 8-10
            Barbell Curls 4 8-10
            Standing Calf Raise 2 10-20
            Hanging Knee Raise 2 10-25
            The Fast Start A/B Full Body Workout Notes:

• Progression. Remember that progression is critical for results, especially for the hardgainer. When you can perform 10 reps for a set, add weight. Push yourself on every set, but do not train to failure.

Muscle & Strength Intermediate Full Body Routine
            This is a bread and butter muscle building routine for intermediate lifters who have always used split routines and want to experiment with a full body approach. You may need to use lighter weights for several weeks as your body adapts to hitting muscle groups 3 times per week. Resist the urge to add in more daily volume; remember that the total weekly volume performed per muscle group on a full body routine is about the same as the volume performed on a standard split routine.

• Training Level - Intermediate.
            • Target Group - Experienced bodybuilders who want to give the old school natural approach a try.
            • Routine Duration - Use this program for 6 months, or as long as you are making consistent progress. Over time you will begin to make adjustments to fit your individual needs and body.

Monday
            Exercise Sets Reps
            Squat 3 6-15
            Bench Press 3 6-10
            Pull Up or Lat Pull Down 3 6-12
            Leg Curl 3 8-15
            Upright Row 2 6-10
            Skullcrusher 2 6-10
            Barbell Curl 2 6-12
            Barbell Shrug 2 8-15
            Ab Exercise 2 10-25
            Wednesday
            Exercise Sets Reps
            Deadlift 3* 5-10
            Leg Extension 3 8-15
            Dumbbell Bench Press 3 6-10
            Seated Barbell Press 3 6-10
            Seated Calf Raise 2 10-20
            Cable Tricep Extension 2 6-12
            Concentration Curl 2 6-12
            Rear Lateral 2 8-15
            Ab Exercise 2 10-25
            Friday
            Exercise Sets Reps
            Leg Press 3 10-20
            Barbell Row 3 6-10
            Romanian Deadlift 2 6-10
            Incline Bench Press 3 6-10
            Side Lateral 2 8-15
            Close Grip Bench Press 3 6-10
            Pinwheel Curl 2 6-12
            Dumbbell Shrug 2 8-15
            Ab Exercise 2 10-25
            The Muscle & Strength Intermediate Full Body Workout Notes:

• Rep Ranges. General rep ranges are provided for example purposes only.
            • Weight. Because you are performing 9 exercises per day, it is best to use the same weight for all sets. This will cut down on workout duration.
            • Progression. Focus on progression for every set of every exercise. Use whatever progressional scheme you prefer.
            • Deadlifts. You will be performing only one heavy set. Your first set will be 60% of your heavy set weight for 5 reps. Your second set will be 80% of your heavy set weight for 5 reps. Your third set is your heavy set.

Comment

@ Mods kan deze verplaatst worden naar de Algemene database?

Comment

Sidebar top desktop

Collapse

Actieve discussies

Collapse

porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn
              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
              Antalya Escort
              sikis
              gaziantep escort
              gaziantep escort
              İstanbul Escort
              istanbul escort bayan
              sisli escort beylikduzu escort bayan
              antalya escort atakoy escort
              umraniye escort bayan
              Very sweethearts get banged by pretty pals Баба посидела анусом на крепком стояке fotos de vaginas sexis
              Working...
              X