• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise Form Doesn't Matter... At All

Exercise Form Doesn't Matter... At All

by TC – 5/30/2011

This is a hard article to write.

Why? Because it pretty much refutes every training article we've ever posted on the site and writing it may cause people to hurl excrement at me.

But before I don my fire retardant suit and plunge into what's sure to be a Red Adair inferno of an article, let me make one thing clear, perfectly clear.

What I'm about to write is based on experiential evidence. Not ideas, not concepts. I saw it. I lived it.

And I drew my own conclusions.

If you have other explanations for what I experienced, bring it on.

But first a short story, a story that provided the placental wall for my story to latch onto and gestate.

Larry was my training partner for about a year. I was stronger than him on every lift, but Larry never wanted to change the weight. Chalk it up to laziness, ego, or a fetid broth of both.

His form would go to shit and I'd constantly admonish him for it. He'd cheat like hell on every rep, his whole body struggling to move the weight whether it was a bent over row or a curl.

I wouldn't let him get away with it. It was a constant battle.

He made some gains in size and strength, but it wasn't substantial.

We went our separate ways. I started working out alone, but Larry moved to another part of town and started training with Chad, an aspiring heavyweight MMA fighter who outweighed Larry by about 75 pounds.

Larry's Launch

When I recently saw Larry, he was much bigger – much more muscular than he was when he trained with me – and boasted of using weights he never could have dreamed of when he was training with me.

Of course, given his penchant for cheating his ass off, I had to take poundages he bragged about with a grain of salt. Still, he was much bigger; there was no denying that.

At first I was puzzled. Why had Larry made so much progress under the tutelage of someone else?

It was then that it started to make sense to me. I came up with a theory, but to test it, I went through my memory bank.

The Theory from Experience

Some of you know my background. For those that don't, I was a bodybuilding "journalist" for years. I traveled from major contest to major contest in the early 1990's, reporting on bodybuilding events and celebrities for virtually all the newsstand magazines.

In addition to reporting, I interviewed hundreds of competitors and assisted in photo shoots. I also worked out for years in a gym that was considered a mini Mecca for top-level pro and amateur bodybuilders.

In short, I was exposed to a lot of lifters both in and out of the gym.

And I was almost always horrified by the way they trained. Every big or accomplished lifter I ever saw – man or woman – cheated his ass off on exercises. I'm not talking about just a few cheat sets or cheat reps; I'm talking about every f-in' set and rep.
    It was ugly.

Whether they were doing triceps pressdowns on the cable machine, curls, pull-ups or pulldowns, they were downright spastic. Range of motion? Negligible. Tempo? Ha! They pumped out reps as they could, using as much momentum and body English as possible.

And they always used "too much" weight, at least 10 to 20 percent more than what would allow them to use "proper" form.

It's almost as if they were playing one of those imagination games you played when you were a kid, "If I can't shoot ten spit wads into the trashcan in the next minute, the world will end."

"If I can't curl this weight 10 times, Akron, Ohio will be blown up by terrorists."
    And they'd use every trick in the book including lunging, lurching, or grimacing to save Akron, without even thinking about form.

As a lifetime stickler for doing exercises the "right" way, I'd smugly turn my nose up at them.

"Hrrumph! Using poor form! How droll! The only reason they make any progress at all is because of the drugs. Now pass me my cup of tea, Thornson!"

That's why Larry was bigger and stronger! Chad didn't give a shit about Larry's form or how much weight he was lifting, or rather, attempting to lift. Larry used more weight than he "should" have, cheated his ass off, and grew.

And that seem to be true of every big or accomplished mo-fo I see in the gym today; they're all, almost to a man, using way-more weight than they should, with horrendous form and ranges of motion that are minuscule.

I should quickly say that I've never trained with any of the T NATION authors, so I can't say if it's true of them. I've watched some of them train others, and I must say that they imposed strict form on their athletes and clients.

I have a feeling, though, that many of these clients revert to form (poor) as soon as they're free from their coaches' critical eyes.

Regardless, all the aforementioned experiential evidence has caused me to come up with a bold new theory. Maybe we were all wrong. Maybe form really doesn't matter, unless you're an athlete in some skill sport and you're trying to improve that skill.

Now I'm not talking about strength training, I'm talking strictly hypertrophy. I'm thinking that it might behoove a lifter, at least for a while, to use 10 or 20 percent more weight than he "should" and cheat his ass off on virtually every set, to lurch, lunge, grunt, put English on, do anything and everything it takes to row, curl, extend, press, or pull that heavy weight up, range of motion be damned.

How could this possibly work?

Almost every coach or knowledgeable trainer, when pressed, will tell you that when it comes down to it, it's virtually impossible to fully isolate a muscle. Train your biceps and only your biceps? Pretty much can't be done; other muscles – from your deltoids down to the muscles in your leg – kick in.

Don't believe me? Then why is it easier to do curls standing than it is sitting?

More Weight, More Muscle Gain

So, if we accept that muscles don't operate in isolation, why allow certain muscles – the target muscles – to determine the poundage? You're invariably using less weight so you can do the exercise with proper form, but if the muscles don't work in isolation anyhow, why not use a weight that gives all the muscles involved in the lift a workout?
    This additional stimulus could be causing systemic growth!

And what about range of motion? Perhaps resistance is by far the overriding stimulus in growing muscle! The more weight you use, almost regardless of range of motion, the greater the stimulus!

I'm led to believe this might be a practical approach to almost any lift, with the exception of squats and deadlifts and the like, where using 10 to 20% more than you can do while keeping proper form might cause you to blow out your spine, knee(s), or other equally crucial body parts.

Like I said, it defies almost everything that's been written about bodybuilding since the dawn of protein. But I can't deny my observations. My theory, however, deserves some critical scrutiny.

Care to offer some?
    I know from teaching hundreds of seminars that the guys who say they have “awesome technique” are usually the biggest disasters—their ego just doesn’t let them see it.
    - Dave Tate

Uiteraard overdrijft de schrijver, T.C. Luoma, wellicht een beetje hier en daar, dat is zijn stijl. Ik vind zijn stukken wel vermakelijk en lees ze dan ook graag. Maar er zit wel een kern van waarhneid in.

Hier een paar voorbeelden van wat hij bedoelt:

Training- Branch Warren (biceps) - YouTube

MuscleTech "Branch Warren & Johnnie Jackson Raw" Shoulder Training - YouTube

Het gaat dus puur om training ter stimulatie van hypertrofie. Niet om krachttraining.
    I know from teaching hundreds of seminars that the guys who say they have “awesome technique” are usually the biggest disasters—their ego just doesn’t let them see it.
    - Dave Tate

Comment

Hiebij moet denk ik ook gezegd worden dat je meer kans op blessures hebt met deze stijl van training. En TC is een held.
      Lid van de 200 club

Comment

Sergio Oliva was iemand die ook hele korte bewegingen gebruikte, en dat is toch een van de meest esthetische BBers ooit, het werkt alleen beginners moeten daar van wegblijven die moeten eerst nog alles leren, dit is een methode die idd ook blessures kan opleveren als je te zwaar gaat, zeker als beginner, maar het is een methode die werkt en waar overigens niks nieuws aan is
        Maar wel een leuk artikeltje Inferno
        "You are what you eat..."
        That's strange I don't think I've eaten any sexy beasts today...

Comment

Zoals Robbie ook al aangeeft, niks nieuws en beginners moeten hier vandaan blijven.

Ga je dit als beginner doen dan vergroot je per training de kans dat je sportieve carriëre binnen een half jaar afgelopen is.
          Cheaten is niks nieuws, doen ze al decennia lang. Maar over het algemeen doen alleen de ervaren BB'ers het effectiever, toch blijft het als je even niet op let gevaarlijk.
          Er is overigens soms ook niks mis mee als je wat extra kracht wil opbouwen daarmee. Niet elke vorm van cheat is slecht. Er bestaan ook een aantal oefeningen gebaseerd op de zg cheat... waardoor je meer gewicht kan pakken.
          1e Masters Superbody YBF 2011!
          Go M.U.D. Mart's Ultimate Diet ©

Comment

Dit is inderdaad al eens naar voren gekomen maar TC zijn manier van schrijven is gewoon geweldig. Hij schreef jaren geleden voor Muscle Media 2000, een tijdschrift waarin de keiharde waarheid over prof bodybuilding gewoon werd besroken; er kwamen interviews met profs langs die vertelden over wat zij gebruikten, etc. Dat soort dingen zul je nooit tegenkomen in een publicatie van Weider. Muscle Media 2000 was daarom vrij controversieel. TC kon lekker zijn gang gaan en nam geen blad voor zijn mond. Tegenwoordig doet hij dat dus bij T-Nation.

Maar goed, terug naar het onderwerp. Het is een leuk weetje. Zelf heb ik niet zoveel aan dat smokkelen want hypertrofie is niet mijn primaire doel en de oefeningen die ik doe zijn er ook niet zo geschikt voor. En daarbij wil ik graag heel blijven.
            - Dave Tate

Comment

Toch als ik een schema geef in dat zgn smokkelen bouw je enorm kracht op, ik zal je het zo zeggen dat me vriending er 80 meer me kon op de 45 graden press en nu alweer na 2 weken 7,5 kilo meer pakt op de bank, dus je kan er wel degelijk ook kracht op bouwen tis alleen de uitvoering die weer net iets anders ligt

Is deze schrijver van het artikel overigens een pro atleet?

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie1970 View Post
                Toch als ik een schema geef in dat zgn smokkelen bouw je enorm kracht op, ik zal je het zo zeggen dat me vriending er 80 meer me kon op de 45 graden press en nu alweer na 2 weken 7,5 kilo meer pakt op de bank, dus je kan er wel degelijk ook kracht op bouwen tis alleen de uitvoering die weer net iets anders ligt
                Dat geloof ik best wel, je bent al jaren trainer en je hebt veel praktijkervaring. Ik bedoelde meer dat ik mij focus op de compounds en met squats en deadlifts gaat het dan niet. Met presses ga ik het helemaal uit de weg want ik ben door schade en schande erachter gekomen dat mijn schouders dat niet aankunnen. Als de uitvoering strikt is dan gaat het wel goed.

Het kan best dat ik er in minder tijd meer uit kan persen door te smokkelen maar dat gaat dan weer ten koste van blessures. Maar dat ben ik, voor een ander persoon geldt dat weer niet. Die kan met smokkelen veel progressie maken zonder de nadelen.

Is deze schrijver van het artikel overigens een pro atleet?
                Nee, TC is geen pro atleet en is dat ook nooit geweest.
                - Dave Tate

Comment

Hoe Branch Warren traint staat weer haaks op dat filmpje van Kai Greene (I'll never be a weightlifter) die vertelt hoe super gecontroleerd hij het doet. Interessant om te zien dat ze beiden resultaat halen met hun manier van trainen. Ik geloof ook best dat het kan helpen om eens wat te cheaten als je ff vast zit. Mijn chin-ups waren in het begin ook lelijk, maar langzaam aan werden ze strikter. Het hielp me wel om meer reps te pakken en kracht te krijgen om ze strikter te kunnen doen. Ook nu ik ze weighted ga doen zal ik wellicht ze iets lelijker doen, maar het helpt wel.
                  Train hard or go hormone

Comment

Wat hij schrijft klinkt logisch.
                    focus on progression at all times, so when you are able to, load the bar.

Comment

Originally posted by inferno_0666 View Post
                      Dat geloof ik best wel, je bent al jaren trainer en je hebt veel praktijkervaring. Ik bedoelde meer dat ik mij focus op de compounds en met squats en deadlifts gaat het dan niet. Met presses ga ik het helemaal uit de weg want ik ben door schade en schande erachter gekomen dat mijn schouders dat niet aankunnen. Als de uitvoering strikt is dan gaat het wel goed.

Het kan best dat ik er in minder tijd meer uit kan persen door te smokkelen maar dat gaat dan weer ten koste van blessures. Maar dat ben ik, voor een ander persoon geldt dat weer niet. Die kan met smokkelen veel progressie maken zonder de nadelen.

Nee, TC is geen pro atleet en is dat ook nooit geweest.
                      In jouw geval zou ik dat dan idd niet snel doen nee, er zijn meerdere wegen die leiden naar Rome....uhhhh 200 kg bankdrukken

Oh oke, maar dan heeft ie makkelijk praten over het gebruik van wat de Pro's doen, in feite is het dan een lawaaipapagaai, iedere Pro weet dat ie niet openlijk over doping mag praten, daar staat een schorsing op, en natuurlijk zeggen sommige Pro atleten weleens dingen, maar ze gaan dat risico liever niet aan, dus dat ie dat allemaal heeft gezegd is best leuk, maar ik denk dat het in eerste instantie veel verzonnen is om zo aandacht te krijgen, want dit soort dingen krijgt aandacht en aandacht is voor hem nodig

Comment

Originally posted by inferno_0666 View Post

smokkelen hoeft niet extra blessure gevaar te brengen.
                        Cheat reps kan je op vele manieren doen. De sport heeft veel varianten van oefeningen op basis van cheatreps....

check filmpje wat er gebeurd nadat de sporter leeg is op gewone shoulderpress/MP, want dat is ook een vorm of techniek van cheaten:

CrossFit - Shoulder Press, Push Press, and Push Jerk Demos - YouTube
                        1e Masters Superbody YBF 2011!
                        Go M.U.D. Mart's Ultimate Diet ©

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie1970 View Post
                          In jouw geval zou ik dat dan idd niet snel doen nee, er zijn meerdere wegen die leiden naar Rome....uhhhh 200 kg bankdrukken
                          He he he ... ik moet maar eerst eens zien of ik ooit dat gewicht kan squatten.

Oh oke, maar dan heeft ie makkelijk praten over het gebruik van wat de Pro's doen, in feite is het dan een lawaaipapagaai, iedere Pro weet dat ie niet openlijk over doping mag praten, daar staat een schorsing op, en natuurlijk zeggen sommige Pro atleten weleens dingen, maar ze gaan dat risico liever niet aan, dus dat ie dat allemaal heeft gezegd is best leuk, maar ik denk dat het in eerste instantie veel verzonnen is om zo aandacht te krijgen, want dit soort dingen krijgt aandacht en aandacht is voor hem nodig
                          Dat over het gebruik van profs was niet iets wat hij zelf riep maar via interviews. Het veroorzaakte heel wat opschudding. Het blad kwam uit in beging jaren '90 en ik heb er nog een paar liggen ergens denk ik. Profs die geinterviewd werden en die over hun drugsgebruik uit de school klapten waren David Dearth, Aaron Baker en ik dacht Mike Quinn. Dearth noemde precies de namen van de spullen die hij gebruikte in een onthullend interview in het MM2K van juni/juli 1993:

De reacties van de lezers in de daaropvolgende maand was uiterst vermakelijk, dat kan ik je verzekeren.

Later werd het blad meer "mainstream" om een groter publiek te bereiken. Het werd minder controversieel en ironisch genoeg ging het snel bergafwaarts en daarna kopje onder.
                          Last edited by inferno_0666; 20-07-2012, 12:38.
                          - Dave Tate

Comment

Originally posted by marnop View Post
                            smokkelen hoeft niet extra blessure gevaar te brengen.
                            Cheat reps kan je op vele manieren doen. De sport heeft veel varianten van oefeningen op basis van cheatreps....

check filmpje wat er gebeurd nadat de sporter leeg is op gewone shoulderpress/MP, want dat is ook een vorm of techniek van cheaten:
                            Daar schakelt hij van de ohp naar push press nadat hij geen reps meer kan uitvoeren. Dat kan. Met smokkelen bedoel ik meer dat overdreven bewegen met het bovenlichaam tijdens een lat pulldown of flink momentum gebruiken zoals Branch dat doet.
                            - Dave Tate

Comment

Is inderdaad een erg leuk stukje om te lezen, hij heeft een geinige schrijfstijl, met zo nu en dan beetje overdrijven, maar ik hou dr wel van .

Die filmpjes die je erbij heb geplaatst zijn ook mooie toevoeging.

Die manier van trainen zal inderdaad de blessuregevoeligheid niet naar beneden brengen zeg maar.. maar dat geeft hij ook aan (zeker bij de 'gevaarlijkere' oefeningen).

Het is dan maar net hoe serieus je het risico op blessures neemt bij bepaalde oefeningen, mits hypertrophie je doel is..

Zal er overigens geen risico op de lange termijn aanzitten bij trainen op die manier? (rugklachten oid?)

Comment

Sidebar top desktop

Collapse

Actieve discussies

Collapse

porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn porn
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              Antalya Escort
                              sikis
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              İstanbul Escort
                              istanbul escort bayan
                              sisli escort beylikduzu escort bayan
                              antalya escort atakoy escort
                              umraniye escort bayan
                              Very sweethearts get banged by pretty pals Баба посидела анусом на крепком стояке fotos de vaginas sexis
                              Working...
                              X