Aldo's Log.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Powerlifting Tactics Which Will Transform Your Training

The old cliché goes that bodybuilders are too busy rubbing their bodies in baby oil and squeezing themselves into a thong to build any real, functional strength while powerlifters are fat, lazy morons who are to dunderheaded to understand how to eat properly.
    Of course, the real idiots are those stupid enough to buy into any of this sort of “bodybuilding vs powerlifting” trash talk. Any accusations of bodybuilders being weak are summarily blown out of the window by Ronnie Coleman’s monster squats. Equally, anyone who thinks that powerlifters are fat and badly conditioned obviously never laid eyes on Matt Kroczaleski’s ab-tacular physique.
    The reality is, as the two scenes have become increasingly fractured, both sports have been robbed of the many benefits they can offer each other. As this article shows, there is so much bodybuilders can learn from powerlifters, so incorporate some of these 6 tactics into your training regime and see for yourself how you can benefit from powerlifting know-how.

#1 Develop a Balanced, Functional Musculature

One of the main focuses of bodybuilding is creating a perfectly balanced, symmetrical physique. Symmetry and aesthetic balance are still the central pillars of the sport, even in our era of mass monsters.
    Muscular balance is also incredibly important in powerlifting, but instead of the focus being on looks, powerlifters train for balance in terms of functional musculature which will support and strengthen joints and lifts. This approach to balance is something which bodybuilders would benefit from taking on board, in addition to training for aesthetic symmetry.
    By developing balanced, functional strength and supporting muscles (which may not even be visible) bodybuilders will become markedly stronger and their joints will be better supported, meaning that they are much less likely to injure themselves.
    Injury can derail any bodybuilder’s training, and is responsible for ruining many careers, but this sort of functional balance will dramatically reduce the incidence of injury.
    As an added bonus, developing this sort of balanced strength will be reflected with a more balanced, symmetrical physique! So it’s truly win-win.
    Some ideas for good exercises to build supporting strength include:

Hip Thrusts

Sumo Deadlifts

Seated Band Abductions

#2 Incorporate GPP into Your Workouts

GPP (General Physical Preparedness) was a mainstay in many of the strength training regimes that came out of the Eastern Bloc during the cold war. In recent years it has been enthusiastically adopted by legendary powerlifting trainer Louie Simmons.
    In a nutshell, GPP combines various exercises to develop athletic ability, agility and real world, functional strength in powerlifters. GPP includes exercises like:
    • Sled running
    • Strong man techniques like farmers’ walks and stone lifts
    • Rope work
    • Gymnastic drills
    • Hitting stuff with sledge hammers (a personal favourite)

Crucially, GPP diversifies training sessions, meaning that overworked areas of the body are given a much-needed chance to recuperate and repair.
    For bodybuilders, however, the benefits are even greater. As well as building overall, functional strength which will translate into less injuries, heavier lifts and better form in the gym, GPP training also gives bodybuilders an opportunity to condition themselves and get lean without arduous, boring cardio sessions.
    All of the exercises listed above build explosive power and strength, and are massively hypertrophic as well as cardio-intensive. In a way it’s sort of like a hyper-macho (and much more fun) version of HIIT. The best part is, the sheer variety of GPP workouts you can do will mean that you’ll never get bored.

#3 Static Holds

Static holds are used by powerlifters to break through plateaus and gain massive amounts of strength. These strength gains are possible because static holds get rid of the hardest part of a full ROM rep, meaning that you can lift much higher weights, therefore overloading your muscles.
    Powerlifters usually use the exercises on compound lifts, but bodybuilders can put it to best use on isolation exercises which will encourage hypertrophy.

#4 Recovery

Although bodybuilders lift enormous volumes of weight, the sheer individual loads powerlifters shift means that they need to take rest and recovery extremely seriously if they want to continue to progress.
    However, bodybuilders tend to take a cavalier attitude towards their recovery. Overtraining is one of the biggest mistakes many amateur bodybuilders make, and as well as short-term negative effects on muscle gains, in the long-term it can cause injuries and damage the central nervous system.
    However, by taking on board some of the active recovery tactics powerlifters employ, bodybuilders can continue to push themselves as hard as they need to, without risking overtraining.
    Acupuncture, sports massages and cryotherapy can all be used to expedite recovery, and although massages and acupuncture can be costly, saving up to afford just a couple of sessions a year can make a big difference at key times.
    The aforementioned Louie Simmons is a big advocate of using foam rollers for myofascial massages, which increase blood and nutrient flow to the muscles and connective tissues, thereby stimulating growth and accelerated repair. I have found foam rollers help me recover from DOMS much quicker and eliminate a lot of stiffness and soreness in bigger muscles like the glutes and quads.
    You can easily buy foam rollers in any sports shop, as well as through online retailers, but you can pick them up at a discount

here.
    #5 Feed Your Joints

Supplementation and nailing micronutrient intake is also an important part of recovery. Bodybuilders will always have their macro-nutrient intake nailed, but many neglect their intake of essential vitamins and micronutrients.
    Glucosamine and chondroitin have been

medically shown

to help tendons and connective tissues repair, and when combined with MSM, magnesium and vitamin C, will give your joints the boost they need to keep up with your training.
    The most effective dosages reported in the medical research studies is 1,500 mg Glucosamine and 1,200 mg Chondroitin sulfate per day. Make sure that whichever product you buy gives you these dosages, spread out over 2 to 3 pills daily. Personally, I recommend the 3-in-1 glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM pill from

Myprotein.
    #6 The Power of Partials

Powerlifters have long been using partial movement exercises to bust through plateaus and strengthen joints and tendons. By only performing around ¼ of the full ROM on power lifts, lifters are able to use much heavier weights than usual – somewhere in the 120-130% one rep max range.

This is primarily used to strengthen tendons and other connective tissues, but it also puts huge loads on the muscles, resulting in significant strength and mass gains.
    It is also worth mentioning the elephant in the room of strength sports, too: steroid use. Because muscles grow much, much faster than tendons when on steroids, many steroid users frequently bust their joints whilst on cycles. Partial training is essential for steroid users to strengthen and thicken their tendons.

The extra load you’ll be lifting with partials can also “shock” your muscles into hypertrophy and add kgs to your normal lifts, which in turn will result in lean mass gains.

By incorporating these 6 lifts into your normal bodybuilding training, you can diversify your training, reduce the risk of injury and become much, much stronger – resulting in a more symmetrical, thicker physique. Best of all, learning from other iron sports, be that strongman, Olympic lifting or powerlifting can give bodybuilders a whole new perspective on training and strength.
    6 Powerlifting Tactics Which Will Transform Your Training, 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 rating
    Skeggǫld, Skálmǫld, Skildir ro Klofnir.

Comment

• A Surefire Way To Increase Your Grip Strength

We all know that it is imperative to have a strong grip when lifting weights or in daily life to have the ability to grip objects safely. But what is the best way to produce gains in strength for this area?
      The forearm muscle group is the one responsible for grip strength. There are several functions of the forearm muscles including gripping objects, curling the fist upward and lifting the hand backward in a reverse motion. Therefore, we have to train each of these areas for complete forearm development.
      To build gripping and crushing strength, pinch grip a barbell plate on the outside rim and hold it off the floor for as long as you can. Increase the weight as strength gains permit. To do this safely, hold the plate over a floor that is protected by gym padding and leave an open area in case you happen to drop the weight.
      Another great tool is a gripper. Use a quality, professional one like Iron Grips or one of the other brands available in a weight lifting store and avoid the ones being sold in department stores as they don’t give sufficient resistance and wear out quickly. Since forearm muscles are used to high reps squeeze the gripper for 20-30 reps per set. Do one set using an overhand grip, one using an underhand grip and one with an extended, or straight grip.
      A tennis ball is a great tool to use to build crushing strength. Squeeze the ball as hard as you can for 15 seconds then release. Do a total of 15 reps per hand.
      To increase your curling strength, use a barbell or dumbbell to do wrist curls, curling the weight up as far as you can. Repeat for 15 reps. Use a reverse wrist curl to build up the outside portion of your forearm. Reverse barbell curls are a nice alternative to reverse wrist curls and train the attachment between the forearm and biceps muscles.
      A great exercise to build up overall forearm strength is wrist roller wind-ups. Use a handle with a rope attached. Clip a weight plate to the end of the rope and wind up the rope until it is fully wound. Let the plate back to the floor and repeat. Do three complete wind-ups.
      A sample workout for complete forearm and grip development is:
      • Plate pinch grips- 3 pinch grips per hand
      • Gripper squeezes-1x 25 each underhand, overhand, straight grip
      • Tennis Ball Squeezes- 1x 15-15 seconds each hand (alternate hands)
      • Reverse Wrist Curls- 1x 15 reps
      • Wind-Ups- 3x complete cycles

At first you’ll love this tip, then you might hate this tip. Let me explain.
      Most of us want more grip strength. It becomes frustrating when a dumbbell starts to slip during rows, or we fail to hit a deadlift PR (personal record) because our grip gave out.
      And we’re not supposed to use straps, right? That seems to be the general consensus on most lifting forums.
      But guess what? This is wrong. Yes, you heard me correctly. Using straps is one of the best ways to improve your grip strength. Here’s why.
      Most people don’t know this but back strength plays a major role in how long you can hold on to something. Simply stated, when your back can’t handle a given weight any longer, your brain signals your grip to let go.
      What does this mean? The stronger your back is, the better your grip strength will be.
      The stronger your back is, the better your grip strength will be.
      Using straps allows you to perform better during rows, pull ups and deadlifts. You can hold the bar for nearly as long as you’d like. For some back exercises, such as rows, straps may allow you to use quite a bit more weight.
      The more weight you use, the faster you gain back strength. The more reps you can do, the faster you gain back strength.
      Straps are not a crutch. They are a tool to help you build back strength as rapidly as possible. This will result in greater grip strength.
      Why did I say you might hate this tip?
      1. It’s not solution that can improve your grip strength overnight.
      2. You’ll run into many people who don’t understand the synergy between back strength and grip strength, and they will try to convince you that straps will only weaken your grip.

My Back Strength, My Grip Strength

Until 2007 I avoided straps. Just like you, I thought they would make my grip weak.
      So for 21 years I struggled with dumbbell and barbell rows. The most I was ever able to one-arm dumbbell row without straps was 120 pounds by 10 reps. Barbell rows…well, I was just pathetic.
      I have small German hands, and struggle with lifts that require me to use a double overhand grip. To give you an example of this, I started deadlifting in 2007 and couldn’t pull 315 with a double overhand grip because it would slip.Avoiding straps only made my grip issues worse. My back stayed weak, so my grip stayed weak. Then something interesting happened.
      In 2008 I picked up a pair of Versa Gripps. Versa Gripps are a fancy set of lifting straps. They lock down faster and tighter than cloth straps.
      Instantly I was able to use more than 120 pounds for dumbbell rows. By 2010 I was able to perform a one arm dumbbell row of 265 pounds for 10 reps. Also during this time I was moving up to 405 on barbell rows with reasonably strict form.
      When I began using Versa Gripps I also started deadlifting exclusively using a double overhand grip. Two months ago I was able to achieve a 700 pounds deadlift for 2 reps off of a 3 inch block.
      The point in all this is simple. In 2007 I thought my back was strong, but it wasn’t. These days I know my back is strong.
      People give me a hard time for using straps, but you know what? When it comes time for me to deadlift without them, my grip is firm and never gives out. Not as of yet, anyway.
      I was able to attempt a 700 pound deadlift on the powerlifting platform without any grip issues whatsoever.
      So to summarize…in 2007 I had grip issues. I allowed my grip strength to limit my back strength. When I started using straps, my back strength went up, and as a result, my grip strength improved.
      Even if straps did nothing to help my grip strength, which some may argue, they still helped me to deadlift 700 pounds. Without them my back strength would have remained sub-par, and I may never have pulled over 500 pounds.

Final Words On Grip Strength

I think it’s safe to say that most of you are not powerlifters. You will never need to showcase your grip strength on the platform.
      There’s a good chance you simply want to get as big and strong as possible. Therefore, you have no reason to avoid wearing lifting straps. You have nothing to lose and only good things to gain.
      Not only will they give you a bigger and stronger back, but they will also help to increase your grip strength.

Comment

• 4 Tips To Help Build Better Weight Lifting Routines

Do you build weight lifting routines like you fill your plate at a food buffet?
        You know what I mean: picking and choosing splits, exercises, sets and reps based on what you’re hungry for on that given day.
        If so, it’s time to stop this nonsense and start writing better workouts. The following 4 tips will help you structure more effective weight lifting routines.

Build Better Weight Lifting Routines

Tip #1 – Use Only 2-3 Ball Busting Lifts Per Session

What are ball busting exercises? Big movements like squats, deadlift, bench press, barbell rows, over head presses, cleans, still leg deadlifts, close grip bench presses, dips, good mornings, front squats, leg presses, pull ups, etc.
        Start each workout with 2-3 of these challenging movements before moving on to less intense work.
        If you aren’t using 2-3 of these lifts, then something is wrong. Shying away from the best possible compound exercises is a fast way to derail your gains.
        Try to perform the most challenging movement first.

Tip #2 – No More Than 4 Training Days Per Week

If you are training properly, with the right amount of hard work and resistance, then you won’t need to train more than 4 days per week to reach your goals. In fact, if you are training properly, then you most likely won’t want to train more than 4 days per week.
        If you are one of these guys that believes “more is better”, you need to set that mindset aside quickly. Most of the top beginning to intermediate workouts in the weight training realm advise 2-4 weight training sessions per week.
        This is not to say that if you are an advanced lifter that you should never workout more than 4 days per week. I am not speaking to highly experienced lifters here.
        Hit the gym, work hard, and head home to eat and rest. Do this several times per week and you will build muscle and strength at a rapid pace.
        Lastly, it should be noted that while younger trainees may be able to workout more frequently, and may recover more quickly, this doesn’t guarantee that adding more workouts will increase gains.

Tip #3 – Balance Your Exercise Selection

Very rarely do I see inexperienced lifters using balanced workout routines.
        What is a balanced routine? It means you are either working the body as a whole in a balanced manner, or working individual body parts in a balanced manner – taking muscle size into consideration, obviously.
        Most trainees overwork the chest, while under-working shoulders and back. It is very common for novice lifters to hammer the chest with 3-5 compound movements, while only hitting the shoulders with one compound lift – and this shoulder exercise is usually an inferior one, like the Smith machine overhead press.
        These types of unbalanced training programs also usually go easy on the back. Back exercises often include some moderately taxing lat pull downs, and maybe some light dumbbell or Hammer strength rows.
        We haven’t even touched on the average lifter’s obsession with biceps and abs training.
        To keep your weight training routines balanced, use about the same number of compound exercises and working sets for chest, back and shoulders. Also, don’t overwork smaller muscle groups such as biceps and abs. It’s simply not needed.

Tip #4 – If You Can’t Do It In 75 Minutes, Don’t Do It

I’m not going to sit here and tell you that workouts over 75 minutes are catabolic. That’s not the point of this tip. With that said, workouts that run over 75 minutes are usually bloated.
        If you can’t destroy yourself in the gym in 75 minutes or less, then you probably aren’t pushing hard enough, or you’re taking too much rest between sets.
        If the number of exercises you have crammed into your workout makes you exceed the 75 minute mark, then you’re probably trying to do too much. Probably. This is a general guideline, and not a carved in stone rule.
        I recommend planning your compound movements first, per tip #1. After this point, fill in your training days with as many assistance exercises as you desire, as long as you are not training over 75 minutes per day.
        Keeping your workouts around 60-75 minutes forces you to prioritize, and avoid workout bloat – such as trying to do 30 sets for biceps.

Recap – How To Build A Workout

In summary, use the following guidelines to help you structure a reasonable, effective and balanced workout:
        1. Train no more than 4 days per week.
        2. Train 60-75 minutes per day maximum.
        3. Use 2-3 heavy, taxing lifts per workout.
        4. Balance your training.

Comment

• Moet dit niet in da andere topic Aldo?
          Begeleiding nodig bij voeding en /of training?

Comment

• bedankt Aldo die static holds ga ik bij de bench eens doen heb daar iets leuks voor gevonden eens kijken wat het me gaat brengen.
            Goed gejat is het halve werk!

Comment

• Originally posted by pescatore View Post
              Moet dit niet in da andere topic Aldo?
              Moesten ze eigenlijk ook. Zet ze voortaan wel in beide topics neer anders wordt mijn log een opsomming van trainingen.

Originally posted by east1977 View Post
              bedankt Aldo die static holds ga ik bij de bench eens doen heb daar iets leuks voor gevonden eens kijken wat het me gaat brengen.
              Goed om te horen dat je er wat aan heb East!

Comment

• 8.2 Fullbody

Squat
                3x6x120kg
                3x4x140kg

Pull ups
                6x6xBw

Dips
                3x6+15kg
                3x4+30kg

Seated military press
                3x6x60kg
                2x4x70kg
                1x2x80kg zonder spot.

Tricep extensions - Bicep cable curl
                2x20x40kg - 2x20x30kg

Hyperextensions - Weighted crunch
                2x20+15kg - 2x20+15kg

Comment

• Ik groet u,mooiste land op aarde????
                  DIVIDE ET IMPERA

Comment

• Originally posted by rain View Post
                    Ik groet u,mooiste land op aarde????
                    Du gamla, Du fria - Wikipedia

Comment

• Zweedse roots, lt Aldo Raine?
                      DIVIDE ET IMPERA

Comment

• Powerbodybuilding.

Have you ever walked into your gym and seen a bodybuilder that looked huge and ripped but could only bench press 225 pounds? A bodybuilder like this is all show and no go. Conversely, have you ever walked into your gym and seen a powerlifter who was lifting heavy ass weight but looked like he spends more time at McDonalds than he does training? If you have spent enough time in the gym, I bet you have. We all have.
                        What are you going to get out of this article series? Well, I’ll tell you one thing you won’t get: some smug picture of a “know-it-all trainer” with his arms crossed and the picture artistically tilted to give off the image of being “cutting-edge” or “super-awesome” against a white background. At Strong-Athlete.com, we are concerned with the facts and disseminating accurate information so that you, the reader, can go forward and crush your next workout.
                        The main focus of this article is to break down the best of powerlifting and the best of bodybuilding. This is not a new concept, we did not originate it and it has been covered before. Has it been covered well? Sure, but it hasn’t been covered as extensively as we intend to do it. This series will be your definitive guide to powerbuilding, a lifting philosophy that has built some of the strongest and best looking athletes on the planet.
                        In this first instalment of our three part series, we are going to outline what powerbuilding is and what exercises/rep schemes are fundamental to the training philosophy. In our second and third instalments, expect to gain insight on how to design your own training, supplementation and nutritional protocols, amongst other information.
                        I can guarantee you that at no point will you see a smug picture of, me, the author, with his arms crossed
                        Let’s get started and remember, Ronnie Coleman said it best:
                        Every wanna be a bodybuilder, but don’t nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight!
                        What is Powerbuilding?
                        Powerbuilding is a hybrid training model that transcends the limitations of traditional powerlifting and bodybuilding training models. It does so by combining the most favourable aspects of each training model so that the practitioner can achieve their own version of looking ripped and being strong. In simpler terms, you can cash the strength-cheque that your physique wrote.
                        Many strength enthusiasts believe that engaging in powerbuilding has to leave out all focus on isolation techniques. Conversely, many bodybuilding enthusiasts believe that powerbuilding should contain heavy isolation movements. Obviously, to design an effective program, one needs to involve big compound movements and isolation movements.
                        There are many schools of thought on the rep ranges that are most effective for powerbuilding and the exercises that should be utilized within an effective program. Some websites will tell you that you have to squat every three days; others will tell you that you have to bench press every other day. The bottom line is that your workouts need to be tailored to whatever imbalances you currently have with respect to your strength and appearance. To fall into a trap of having to squat every three days when you already have tree trunk sized legs could land you with an even more imbalanced, bottom-heavy physique. The same thing can happen if you bench press too often. Just ask Mr. Incredible.

Mr. Incredible needs to lay off the bench and hit some more squats!
                        What exercises should I be doing? How many reps?
                        When you start structuring your workouts, the first thing you need to do is throw a lot of myths out the window. One of them is that if you are training for over one hour exactly, you are going catabolic. Do you think your body really knows the difference between one hour and one hour and fifteen minutes? Moreover, there are ways to fight catabolism, such as intra-workout supplementation with supplements like Branched Chain Amino Acids. Before I go too crazy here, let’s save that topic for the next instalment.
                        When you are talking powerbuilding, it obviously necessitates the use of both powerlifting and bodybuilding movements. The exercises you choose for yourself is something you will need to do based on your strength goals and your personal imbalances/physique characteristics. Physique characteristics can be things like having very long arms (great for fighting but not for benching) or having a short torso (great for deadlifts but not for bodybuilding).
                        Safety is the most important part of going heavy, and if you can’t get the form down, maybe you need to adapt the movement or try something different.
                        Are there movements that you should avoid? Yes, anything that causes pain (i.e. knee, back, shoulder, or elbow pain) during the movement. Safety is the most important part of going heavy, and if you can’t get the form down, maybe you need to adapt the movement or try something different.
                        Ideally, when talking rep schemes for working sets, we want to keep the reps below eight. Warm-up sets should be light and utilize high reps to get the blood in the area of focus and to allow for you to mentally remember the movement. From week to week, you will progress and the weight you may have used before to get six reps may be too light. Remember to use progressive resistance.
                        Here is a basic list of exercises that you can incorporate into your powerbuilding routine (yes, there is a lot of overlap – they are mostly compound exercises. Good for you that you noticed. You must be very smart.
                        Shoulders:
                        • Push Press
                        • Military Press

Back
                        • Deadlifts (All Variations)
                        • T-Bar Row
                        • Barbell Row
                        • Good Mornings
                        • Chin-ups

Tried, tested and true. The Pull Up is one of the best back exercises you can do.
                        Legs
                        • Squats
                        • Front Squats
                        • Walking Lunges
                        • Stiff-Leg Deadlift
                        • Glute-Ham Extension

Chest
                        • Bench Press (All Varying Angles)
                        • Band/Chain Bench Press
                        • Dumbbell Presses (All Varying Angles)
                        • Weighted Dips

Arms
                        • Standing Barbell Curl
                        • Close-Grip Bench Press

Powerbuilding uses both powerlifting and bodybuilding movements.
                        A Final Note on Exercise Selection:
                        Remember, we are mixing both powerlifting and bodybuilding with the intent of increasing both strength and size. There are a lot of exercises and practices that are integral to the Strong Athlete. You can’t ignore things like your rotator cuff, hip abductors/adductors, core and grip strength. You especially can’t forget about things like flexibility and mobility. Make sure to incorporate these aspects into your program, it may mean the difference between an injury and staying healthy.
                        We are mixing both powerlifting and bodybuilding with the intent of increasing both strength and size.
                        Lastly, isolation movements DO have a place in powerbuilding. Don’t forget to incorporate your isolation exercises into your workouts. There will be more on this in the next part of this series as we get into creating your powerbuilding training plan.
                        Powerbuilding is a topic that needs to be approached with an open mind. As athletes, we tend to build biases towards certain kinds of training being better than others. It is natural. For example, a lot of bodybuilders think that CrossFit is ridiculous and many CrossFitters think bodybuilders are clowns. When designing a program, the topic that we will be talking about next time, we need to be able to break out of whatever dogma or bias we have created and create an honest plan to our training, supplementation and nutrition. It is our intention at Strong-Athlete.com to give you the most honest and unbiased information possible to help you accomplish your goals.
                        Big Jeffrey Pearce, is a physical culture writer, editor, personal trainer, and a lifetime natural bodybuilder from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He has been bodybuilding and strength training since he was 16 years old and remains a dedicated gym rat to this day. Big Jeff is one of the strongest athletes you will ever meet, routinely bench pressing 500lbs and tossing up 150lb dumbbells for reps in a typical workout. An honors graduate from the University of Toronto, Jeff’s brains also match his brawn. Jeff will be joining the Strong-Athlete family as our new editor-in-chief and we look forward to more great work from him in the future.

Comment

• The Power-Bodybuilding Method

What would you say is better for building solid muscle?
                          Lifting heavy weights or pumping the muscle full of blood?
                          My buddy Mike Westerdal from Critical Bench wrote an eye-opening article for us about an approach that uses both in order to build strength and size at the same time.
                          Check it out below…

The Power-Bodybuilding Method
                          by Mike Westerdal

There seems to be an accepted notion that aesthetic bodybuilding techniques can’t be integrated within the structure of an empirical powerlifting workout program. I firmly believe otherwise.

It has been my observation upon viewing the iron game there are two types of people. First there are those who are pumpers and toners and secondly there are those who concentrate on the brute power of heavy lifting alone.
                          That is until recently when we have a metamorphosis of a third type of hybrid person who trains to combine the best of both worlds. It involves the nice blood choked pump of the bodybuilder yet it’s got the rugged and capable power of a strength athlete.
                          When you combine these two approaches you have what is called
                          power-building or
                          power-bodybuilding.

Power-bodybuilding can be used by competitive bodybuilders as well. It’s great for the early cycle in which a bodybuilder is embarked on the critical muscle mass building phase. For the contest entering and winning bodybuilder it is important for him to be perceived as someone who doesn’t just have herculean size which is ALL SHOW and NO GO.
                          There’s a stereotype out there that bodybuilders are not very strong. Using a power-bodybuilding method at the beginning of their contest cycle they’ll be able to back up the great cosmetic physique with some real world strength and power.
                          Likewise a strength athlete or powerlifter would like for the public to perceive them as not just someone that lifts heavy iron, but also has the rugged, solid and capable look of a finely tuned athlete.

One of the saddest things I have observed especially in the powerlifting arena is that of the lifters who weight under 242 pounds.
                          Many of them possess tremendous tendon and ligament strength but yet as far as overall behemoth muscular bulk they just don’t have it. And when you throw a long sleeved shirt and tie on them they pretty much blend with the masses of the general public.
                          Personally, that bothers me. Granted, tendon and ligament strength is important I admit to that. But I’ve observed lifters with larger physiques than mine that move much less heavy iron that I do. I feel that they’re more into a pump phase of training, which is fine, but deep down I know they desperately want to possess more superhuman strength and power. Enter POWER-BODYBUILDING.
                          I am not the lone proponent of the POWER-BODYBUILDING movement (I am only seeking to introduce a renewed interest in this powerful training component), there have been others over the span of the last 60 years.

Some of the most notable luminaries of this movement that I can think of off hand includes and is not limited to: Malcom Brenner, Franco Columbu, Jeff Everson, Lou Ferrigno, John Carl Grimek, Donne Hale, Mike & Ray Mentzer, Sergio Oliva, Reg Park, Bill Pearl, Clancy Ross, Bill Seno, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Chuck Sipes and Dorian Yates, just to name a few.

If I am not mistaken POWER-BODYBUILDING may have achieved its zenith when one of the criteria’s for entering an AAU sanctioned physique event required athletic events such as Olympic & Powerlifting to help secure additional points in the physique contest itself. Sad to say that’s not the case today.
                          All of the guys I have just mentioned have been great assets to the physique game because for them to get the size they possessed they had to do some heavy, heavy lifting and if you looked at their workout programs you could see that they combined heavy tendon and ligament building movements with the muscle sculpting movements of the cosmetic bodybuilder.

It was not uncommon for Franco Columbu to bench in the high 400’s or deadlift over 700 pounds for a big triple. In tests of power, moving a huge weight in a short movement, deadlifts, squats, supports were all easy for John Carl Grimek. Clancy Ross was fully capable of getting 180-pound dumbbells in position self-assisted for some hefty incline work.
                          And who can forget Chuck Sipes who could squat 6 to 700 pounds and bench nearly 600 pounds, when nobody else near his bodyweight was even close. Plus he was an IFBB super-star bodybuilder to boot.
                          It’s not by accident that all of the names I have mentioned have ended up at the top in the iron game. They not only looked the part (cosmetic bodybuilder) but they all could push the heavy iron that the general public perceived of them.
                          Now some people still might not know the difference between muscle bulk training and pump training so let me elaborate.
                          When a bodybuilder or a powelifter bulk train they use heavy, heavy weights to tear down deep muscle tissue membranes. The muscle rebounds (recovers) and grows abundantly. This is what is called ultimate hypertrophy.

Now on the other hand if a bodybuilder or powerlifter subjects themselves to light pumping movements you’ll gorge the muscle with blood literally. I call this a flush pump. Granted this type of training will shape and bring up the muscularity of the muscle bellies but it lacks the integrity of bulk training.
                          If you want to retain the transitory muscle thickness that you experienced with the flush pump training then you will have to include the deep tearing down of the heavy weight training. This is one of the best ways to retain muscle thickness (density) where in the morning you wake up and you still look pretty big.
                          What I am trying to gear this article towards is for you bodybuilders and powerlifters who desire total development and total strength while being less concerned about specialization in one area. Your overall strength and muscular size will definitely increase using a POWER-BODYBUILDING program. This is because the program is physiologically construed to provide heavy high intensity work (muscle bulk training) for size and strength and volume high rep work (flush pump training) and to add fullness and vascularity to the muscle.

It has been my aspiration for quite a while now to introduce a power-bodybuilding system of training that can be used by beginners, intermediates and advanced men.
                          Check out my brand new resource below for more information on exactly how to structure your training with a power-bodybuilding approach.
                          It seems nowadays people shy away from the words bodybuilding and powerlifting. I know this because I have worked with women, and as soon as you say the word bodybuilding or powerlifting they think a mastadon physique, accompanied by a hairy chest, and the voice of a viking. Well let us address this. It’s called steroids. You do not have to take these. As a matter of fact, women who compete naturally in powerlifting, fitness, bodybuilding, figure, etc WHO PUT IN THE WORK, EAT CLEAN, AND GET THE JOB DONE... LOOK BANGIN’ HOT. In this field we are in, you cannot kind of want to succeed, you must be dedicated, have discipline, and patience. If you accomplish these things mentally, then the rest of the aforementioned is a joke to you. You then throw away shape magazine and start reading information from strong females such as; Nia Shanks, Julia Ladewski, and Alli Mckee. The list goes on from there, but I love the movement these women are starting. With that said let us not get sidetracked. It comes down to this in your training, have a goal. How are you going to accomplish that goal? I believe 100% of the goals you want to achieve must involve both bodybuilding and powerliftng. Strength, nutrition, and appropriate programming need to be intertwined with your goals.

Comment

• For the past few decades, there's been an uneasy coexistence between strength and physique enthusiasts. Strength athletes love to criticize bodybuilding as an un-athletic, drug-fueled, narcissistic beauty contest, while at the same time, bodybuilders often insult powerlifters for being fat and nutritionally undisciplined.

It wasn't always this way. Back in the day, bodybuilding contests usually included a performance requirement, usually in the form of a weightlifting contest. Similarly, many strength historians often remark that strength athletes of yesteryear had more aesthetic physiques than their modern counterparts.

Of course, most of us would love to look and perform like a badass, rather than picking one or the other. But more often than not, many of us assume that we need to choose one or the other. Something about the shortcomings of being a jack of all trades, right?

Take a Lesson From the Other Camp
                            The truth is, even if you're only interested in strength, you still need to understand and apply optimal hypertrophy training methods in your workouts. Similarly, if all you care about is looking good naked, you won't achieve your true potential unless you understand and utilize optimized strength-training methods.

So the bottom line is that, at least in terms of physical excellence, you really do need to be a jack of at least two trades -- strength and hypertrophy training.
                            Before we delve into this further, it's important to fully appreciate that any time you lift a weight, you'll simultaneously create the stimuli for increased strength and increased muscle development. It's never exclusively one or the other. With that said, it's equally important to recognize that you can substantially emphasize one adaptation over the other based on how you lift that weight. And that's what this article is about.

As someone who's been primarily interested in strength performance over the course of my barbell tenure, I've been almost exclusively focused on the amount of weight I'm lifting -- the amount of weight on the bar -- as opposed to the feel or the effect the weight is having on the involved muscles. And honestly, this almost exclusive preoccupation with weight has been an oversight on my part, and my physique reflected it, too.

But many bodybuilders make the opposite mistake. They focus mostly or exclusively on generating a high level of fatigue in the target muscle, with little regard of how much weight is being used to create that fatigue.

We'd all be better off if we took a lesson from the opposing camp in an effort to broaden our perspective and shore up our weaknesses. Let's take a look at how we might do that.
                            Maximizing Strength Depends On Hypertrophy Development
                            Maximizing strength development requires attention to two distinctly different adaptations: making your muscle fibers thicker, and then creating a stimulus that requires your motor cortex to figure out how to optimally fire your muscles in order to lift a weight.
                            Simply put, if you only focus on one of these two factors, you're missing out on a lot of untapped potential.

Maximizing Hypertrophy Depends On Strength Development
                            As coach Eric Helms likes to state, hypertrophy is always a secondary adaptation to strength. What Eric means by this is that you can't hypertrophy a muscle until you recruit it. And of course, recruitment -- especially of the high-threshold motor units -- requires progressively increasing load in a significant way.

So while "feel" is certainly important, you're not providing your muscles with optimal stimulus for growth if you ignore progressive overload.
                            Again, no matter what your primary goal is, you really need to make sure you're optimizing both strength and hypertrophy stimuli in your training program. Now what's interesting about the way that strength and physique athletes tend to train is that their strategies are almost completely opposite to each other: Strength athletes are looking to find the easiest way to move a weight, while bodybuilders usually look for the hardest way to move a weight.
                            As a way of demonstrating this concept, think about the bench press. If your goal is maximal pec development, would you bench differently than you would if a bigger1RM bench was your goal? The clear answer is yes.

Obviously, if your goal is a big max-bench, you'd find every possible way to "cheat." You'd reduce the ROM (range of motion), incorporate leg drive as much as possible, use the easiest eccentric tempo, and so on. In other words, you'd look for the easiest possible way to make that lift.
                            On the other hand, a bodybuilder concerned with pec development would take a very different approach. He'd increase the ROM, use a longer eccentric tempo, and in short, do everything possible to create maximal fatigue in his pecs, even if it made any given weight harder to move. Put another way, he'd be looking to find the hardest possible way to lift that weight, particularly for the pecs.
                            So who's right and who's wrong here then? Both approaches are valid, and in fact, necessary for optimal progress!

As an athlete involved in raw powerlifting, I've stumbled upon a strategy that allows me to address both of these inter-related needs in my own training. And truth be told, there's nothing especially "new" to this approach, which probably makes me like it even more.
                            Each workout starts with a "core" lift, which for me will be one of the three power lifts. For you, it could be any "big" multi-joint or "compound" lift that permits a high level of loading. Examples include barbell rows, Dead-Squat™ Bar pulls, military presses, and power cleans.
                            On each core lift, I'm looking to optimize my mechanics in such a way that I'm using the easiest possible way to complete the lift, and I'll usually use fairly heavy (over 85% of 1RM) weights for relatively low (1-5) reps.

After you perform the core lift -- using loading parameters conducive to maximal strength and/or power development -- you follow up with 2-4 "assistance" lifts designed to target weaknesses that the core lift didn't adequately address. So in my case, squats don't happen to address my quads very well, which happens to be a weakness both in my squatting as well as my physique.
                            Therefore, I'll choose an exercise that targets this muscle as effectively as possible, and I'll use a bodybuilding mindset while performing this exercise, focusing not so much on the weight I'm lifting (although I still try to progress my loads from session to session), but rather on generating fatigue in the muscle throughout a full range of motion.

In terms of loading on these secondary exercises, I sometimes use the same weight for several sets, but more typically, I'll use something like ladders, Stack 10, or a simple ascending pyramid, working up to a difficult set of 6-8 reps, followed by 1-2 lighter back-off sets. Don't get too hung up on the specific loading strategy here, however, as it's the movement style that's most important.
                            Look Strong and Be Strong
                            Now while this approach certainly isn't anything new from a programming point of view, what is a bit different is the use of goal-specific movement strategies for both categories of exercise. On the core movement you'll be using a high-tension strategy, and on the assistance lifts you'll switch to more of a fatigue-generation approach.
                            In this way, you more fully satisfy the requirements for maximal strength development, as well as optimizing the stimulus for muscular growth.
                            Last edited by Aldo Raine; 22-01-2015, 11:07.

Comment

• Workout Summary

Main Goal:
                              Increase Strength
                              Workout Type:
                              Split
                              Training Level:
                              Intermediate
                              Days Per Week:
                              Equipment Required:
                              Barbell, Bodyweight, Dumbbells
                              Target Gender:
                              Male & Female
                              Author:
                              M&S Writers
                              Workout Description

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 powerlifting system is rapidly growing into one of the most popular powerlifting and strength building training routines on the planet. Several years ago, most powerlifters I knew ran the Westside Barbell system. Westside was the gospel, and there was no other. But today, things have changed. A good portion of my friends are running Wendler's 5/3/1, or a Westside/Wendler's combination. Westside is still king, but Wendler's 5/3/1 has proven itself very worthy of consideration.
                              In this guide to Wendler's 5/3/1, you will find information on 2, 3, and 4 day splits. You will also find information on a Wendler's 5/3/1 and Westside hybrid program. I have also included detailed assistance work information, including possible variations mentioned in the Wendler's 5/3/1 e-book. Please support Jim Wendler and Wendler's 5/3/1 by purchasing his e-book.

Wendler's 5/3/1 Core Components
                              • 4 to 5+ Week Mesocycle. A mesocycle of Wendler's 5/3/1 lasts 4 weeks if you train 4 days per week, and 5+ weeks if you train 3 days per week. If you workout three times per week (Monday-Wednesday-Friday), you will rotate between 4 core workouts. If you workout 4 days per week, you will hit each workout once a week on the same training day.
                              • 4 Core Workouts. Wendler's 5/3/1 consists of 4 core workouts:
                                Workout A. Squat and assistance work.
                                Workout B. Bench Press and assistance work.
                                Workout C. Deadlift and assistance work.
                                Workout D. Overhead Press and assistance work.

• 3 Days Per Week. As stated, if you use Wendler's 5/3/1 and workout 3 days per week, you will rotate between the 4 workouts. Over the course of a mesocycle, you will perform each of the 4 workouts four times, for a total of 16 workouts. A week week mesocycle looks like this:
                                Week 1. ABC (Monday - Workout A, Wednesday - Workout B, Friday - Workout C)
                                Week 2. DAB
                                Week 3. CDA
                                Week 4. BCD
                                Week 5. ABC
                                Week 6. D

• 4 Days Per Week. If you use Wendler's 5/3/1 and train 4 days per week, your mesocycle will last only 4 weeks. Your workout schedule should look something life this:
                                Monday. Squat Day
                                Wednesday. Bench Press Day
                                Friday. Deadlift Day
                                Saturday. Overhead Press Day

• Workout Waves. Each workout is performed 4 times during the course of a Wendler's 5/3/1 mesocycle. Simply stated, you will have 4 bench press workouts, 4 squat workouts, 4 deadlift workouts, and 4 overhead press workouts. Each specific workout (A-B-C-D) is comprised of 4 waves, or 4 different workouts. These waves are:
                                Wave A. Warmup, 75% x 5, 80% x 5, 85% x 5
                                Wave B. Warmup, 80% x 3, 85% x 3, 90% x 3
                                Wave C. Warmup, 75% x 5, 85% x 3, 95% x 1
                                Wave D. Deload wave – 60% x 5, 65% x 5, 70% x 5

Wendler's 5/3/1 Complete Mesocycle Breakdown
                                Now that we've looked at the nuts and bolts of the Wendler's 5/3/1 powerlifting system, let's put them together into a structured mesocycle. Please note that the following tables do not include assistance work. The letter (ABCD) following the core workout is the corresponding wave that you will be performing on that training day.

Wendler's 5/3/1 Mesocycle
                              3 Days Per Week
                              Week Monday Wednesday Friday
                              1 Squat - A Bench Press - A Deadlift - A
                              2 OH Press - A Squat - B Bench Press - B
                              3 Deadlift - B OH Press - B Squat - C
                              4 Bench Press - C Deadlift - C OH Press - C
                              5 Squat - D Bench Press - D Deadlift - D
                              6 OH Press - D
                              Wendler's 5/3/1 Mesocycle
                              4 Days Per Week
                              Week Monday Wednesday Friday Friday
                              1 Squat - A Bench Press - A Deadlift - A OH Press - A
                              2 Squat - B Bench Press - B Deadlift - B OH Press - B
                              3 Squat - C Bench Press - C Deadlift - C OH Press - C
                              4 Squat - D Bench Press - D Deadlift - D OH Press - D
                              Exercise Substitution
                              For each of the 4 workouts (ABCD), you may substitute the primary workout with an appropriate replacement at the start of a new mesocycle. The following are examples of acceptable substitutions:
                              • Squats. You may substitute squats with the box squat, front squat, squats with bands or chains, etc.
                              • Bench Press. You may substitute bench press with floor press, 2-board press, rack press, etc.
                              • Deadlift. You may substitute the deadlift with deficit deadlifts, rack pulls, deadlift with bands or chains, etc.
                              • Overhead Press. You may substitute overhead press with push press, overhead dumbbell press, rack press, etc.
                                Assistance Work
                                How much assistance work you do is up to you. Natural lifters should try to be in and out of the gym in 60 minutes. If you can't "hit it" in that period of time, you need to take a long, hard look at the rest periods you are taking between assistance work sets. A quote from Jim Wendler on training duration:
                                "People laugh and call me lazy, while they twit around in their three-hour workout making zero progress. Sometimes, instead of what you do in the weight room, it's what you don't do that will lead to success."
                                In the Wendler's 5/3/1 book, the following assistance plans are presented:

• Boring But Big. Main lift, the main lift again @ 5x10 (50% 1RM), and another accessory exercise for 5 sets.
                              • The Triumvirate. Main lift, and two assistance exercises - 5 sets each.
                              • I'm Not Doing Jack Shit. Main lift, and nothing else.
                              • Periodization Bible by Dave Tate. Main lift, and 3 exercises - 5 x 10-20 reps each.
                              • Bodyweight. Main lift, and 2 bodyweight exercises such as the pull up, sit ups, dips, etc.

Here are some sample assistance work plans based on your goals.

Strength Builder Assistance Work
                                From the Wendler 5/3/1 E-Book.

Squat Workout

• Deadlift: 5 x 8 x 50%
                              • Hanging Leg Raises: 5 x 12

Overhead Press Workout

• Chin Up: 4 sets of 10-12 reps
                              • Bent Over Dumbbell Row: 4 sets of 15 reps/arm
                              • Back Raises: 4 sets of 10 reps (with bar behind neck)
                              • Hanging Leg Raises: 4 sets of 15 reps

Deadlift Workout Day - Assistance Option B

• Lat Pull Down – 4 sets of 10-12 reps
                              • Bent Over Row – 4 sets of 15 reps/arm
                              • Reverse Hyperextensions – 4 sets of 12 reps
                              • Hanging Leg Raises – 4 sets of 15 reps

Overhead Press Workout Day - Assistance Option A

• Hammer Machine Military – 4 sets of 10 reps
                              • Rope Upright Rows – 4 sets of 10 reps
                              • Bent Over Dumbbell Reverse Fly – 4 sets of 10-15 reps
                              • Standing Dumbbell Curl – 4 sets of 10 reps

Wendler's 5/3/1 Notes

One rep max. When you first start Wendler's 5/3/1, use a realistic one rep max (1RM). It's better to start a little below your estimated max and work into Wendler's 5/3/1, then it is to over-estimate your 1RM and waste a mesocycle. Powerlifting is not a sprint - it's a marathon. Don't kill yourself out of the gate. Jim Wendler recommends starting at 90% of your 1RM on your first mesocycle.

The last set. Jim Wendler recommends going all out on the last core set each workout. Remember, core work is either squats, bench press, deadlift or overhead press. On this last set, do as many reps as you can with the given weight. Do NOT use this approach for de-load workouts.

Adding weight. After completing each mesocycle, add 5 pounds to your 1RM total for bench press and overhead press, and 10 pounds to your squat and deadlift 1RM, and recalculate your percentages. If you run Wendler's 5/3/1 for a year, this progression pattern will add 50 pounds to your bench and press, and 100 pounds to your squat and deadlift. Be patient, and stick with the plan!

2 Day Per Week Approach
                                For those who can hit the gym only twice a week, you can use the following template:

• Monday - Squat and Bench Press
                              • Thursday - Deadlift and Overhead Press

This is a 4 week cycle. Hit the primary, core exercises first, and add in appropriate assistance work. Remember to limit your total workout time to about 60 minutes.

Wendler's 5/3/1 and Westside Hybrid
                                Wendler's 5/3/1 is a very flexible training system. Because of this, the door is wide open to integrate Wendler's with core/key components of the Westside system.
                                Some trainees may want to utilize dynamic effort (DE) days from Westside training. How you structure this integration is up to you. Some trainees may be able to do both heavy squats and deadlifts on a single day, and then use the second posterior chain day of that week for dynamic effort (DE) work. Some may choose to do heavy Wendler squats with DE deadlifts, and heavy Wendler deadlifts with DE squats.
                                Another possible integration between Westside and Wendler's would be to drop the heavy overhead pressing day, and instead, insert overhead pressing movements on your bench days. This would free up one training day each week for DE bench work.

Sample Westside/Wendler's 5/3/1 program structure.

• Monday - Dynamic effort (DE) bench press. Heavier overhead pressing.
                              • Tuesday - Wendler's squat day. Dynamic effort (DE) deadlifts.
                              • Thursday - Wendler's bench press day.
                              • Friday - Wendler's deadlift day. Dynamic effort (DE) squats.

• For assistance work, use exercises that address your weaknesses. Please remember that this sample hybrid program is only an example, presented to get you thinking about the possibilities. There are many ways to combine Westside and Wendler's, and many reasons why someone would want to do so.
                                When jumping into a hybrid routine, always proceed with caution. Start slow, and work your way into it. Don't set up the hybrid with too much work. It's better to get the feel of a hybrid program, and then to add work, then it is to kill yourself and have to pull back on work.

Final Notes
                                Far too many younger trainees are looking for magic routines and training systems. Wendler's 5/3/1 powerlifting system is not magic. It works if you work hard, and stick to it. Wendler's generally needs to be run for multiple cycles, so don't choose this routine if you're not willing to stick with it. If you're a younger lifter, and not sure if you're ready for a powerlifting routine, consult more experienced lifters on the Muscle & Strength forum.
                                There are many heated debates about which training system is the best. Remember that the key to success on any program revolves around your drive to succeed.

Comment

• 8.3 Fullbody

Squat
                                6x6x110kg

Pull ups
                                6x6+10kg

Dips
                                3x6+15kg
                                2x4+30kg
                                1x+50kg

Side raises
                                4x10x8kg

Comment

Sidebar top desktop

Collapse

Actieve discussies

Collapse

erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                Antalya Escort
                                sikis
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                İstanbul Escort
                                istanbul escort bayan
                                sisli escort beylikduzu escort bayan
                                antalya escort atakoy escort
                                umraniye escort bayan
                                Very sweethearts get banged by pretty pals Баба посидела анусом на крепком стояке fotos de vaginas sexis
                                Working...
                                X